Saturday, January 23, 2021

Machine Quilting Crossing the Pond

 Hello Everyone,

procrastination
[prəˌkrastəˈnāSH(ə)n]
NOUN
  1. the action of delaying or postponing something.


So what have I been postponing?  I've been postponing machine quilting Crossing the Pond.  I had decided to send it out to a professional and have them quilt it......but I waited too long to make that decision, and the person I wanted to quilt it wasn't available in the timeframe that I needed it.


I've been machine quilting since 2006, the year I bought my no frills long arm.  For some reason, quilting this quilt scared the bejeebers out of me.  It's big, it's complicated, it has a lot of white space, and I couldn't figure out what to do.


I put on my big girl panties and tried to figure out something......because.....I have to ship this quilt to France for her photoshoot for QuiltMania magazine the 3rd week of February.


Snow day #1 - Friday, January 22nd.  I'm looking down at the house from the garage.



And, of course, I waited until the WORST possible time to start quilting it up in the garage.  This week is going to be a snowmageddon week here in the mountains.  The snow started yesterday, and should continue for 6 days!  I added up all of the potential inches of snow that we are supposed to receive, and it's almost up to 3 feet! Chances are we will loose power, and I'll have to run a heavy duty extension cord up to the garage to connect me to the generator.  Not to mention, it is supposed to drop into the low 20's tomorrow. 

So when you see this quilt in the May/June issue of QuiltMania magazine......think snow!  I'll try to post pictures of my progress throughout the week if we don't loose our Internet connection.

My goal this week is to discover if I can machine quilt with frostbitten fingers. My new mantra is, do not Procrastinate, do no Procrastinate, do not Procrastinate, do not Procrastinate.

Soon,
Lynn

18 comments:

  1. Just like the little engine that could, so will you persevere! So the new mantra for 2021...do not Procrastinate, PERSEVERE! Carry one dear friend. Hugs, Sharon McD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall PEREVERE with snow shovel in hand! Hugs right back to you, Sharon.

      Delete
    2. I really do know how to spell PERSEVERE.

      Delete
  2. I’m sure your teeth were chattering which made your hands shake when spelling persevere! Maybe we can get Bernie to send you a pair of those gorgeous mittens - fingerless, of course! Steady as she goes, Lynn, and send down to the cabin every so often for some hot grog. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My tankard of grog is going to have a shot of Amaretto in it!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness. I can feel the cold Lynn. Hoping you have a little heater in there to keep your toes warm.(Other than Mazey) :) You will get er' done I have faith and Know you HAVE too. Always an incentive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a heater that kept me warm over the past couple of days. The true test of my heater starts today!

      Delete
  4. Oh Lynn.....I have absolutely NO doubt that you will pull this off fabulously. I found this online: Procrastination makes you more creative. If you have a big, important task ahead of you, it's natural to procrastinate because it's so daunting. What you might not realize is that even when you're not actively working on that task, your mind is subconsciously collecting ideas and processing things to prepare you for it. That means that when you actually sit down to get to it, you have a lot more ideas in your head on how to go about it.Hang in!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is great, Paula! I need to work this into my routine!!!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for this Paula. There are times when I feel as though I have way too many ideas swirling around in my head.

      Delete
  5. I hope you have a portable heater! It will be lovely. You do a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do have a portable heater.....but it's like heating a big barn. So far it hasn't been toooooo bad.

      Delete
  6. Lynn- You make me crack up! So glad to see you are back to quilting again. You do amazing work. You can do it! Will be praying your fingers survive. We so need the snow and for us lowlanders, the rain! Yay! K- lkw2x6-apq@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Kristy. Yes, we really need the snow and the rain here in California. The thoughts of another drought send shivers up my spine.

      Delete
  7. I have always been the worst procrastinator (or best - depending how you look at it). It has caused me so many problems. I'm trying to change that bad habit but it's really tough to do. You are such a talented quilt designer. I love everything you do. You will get through this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can work on changing our bad habit together. Yes, I will get this quilt done, no matter what!

      Delete
  8. Love that subtle pink that you have in the background! That will be a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete