Thursday, July 22, 2021

Retreat Preparations

 Hello Everyone,

I don't want you think that I've been just sitting around and not quilting.  But I have been sitting a lot working on applique and tutorials for the first of my three Sew'n Wild Oaks retreats at Snowflake Lodge.


One of the projects that I'm going to teach is Peek-A-Boo Pumpkins table 42" table runner.  I'll be teaching the applique part and the ribbon border.


I have all of the parts and pieces ready to teach the border.  


All of the parts and pieces are stored in baggies in a binder.  I really like to be prepared for class and have everything in order.  There's nothing worse than not being prepared, and looking like an idiot in front of a classroom full of quilters.  That happened to me one time.....the day I fell out of my chair in front of class.  Now there's a story for another day!  As soon as I'm finished writing the pattern, I'll put it out in my Etsy shop.


Another bear was on the deck yesterday morning.  This bear had better not mess with my Blackstone Flat Top!  I almost always get up at 5am, and I'm at my computer filling Esty orders, answering emails, or working on accounting for the company. I always open up the doors and windows to let in the cool morning air.  Yesterday morning was a different story.  I didn't sleep well the night before, so I was snoozing in my recliner in the great room.  I hadn't opened up the house yet, and it's a good thing I didn't.  In my half asleep stupor, I heard a thud on the deck.  I knew exactly what it was and grabbed my phone so I could snap a picture.   Normally the sliding door would have been wide open with only the screen door between me and this rather motely-looking bear.  It was a good thing I wasn't on my normal window and door opening schedule!


I spent another day this week packing quilts and adding to our "bugger out" box.  The gold star in the lower right-hand corner of the map is my little community of Arnold.  The dry thunderstorms earlier this month and week started several fires northeast of us.  I swear it seems like the entire state of California is in flames.  This time of the year always puts me on edge.  We get dry thunderstorms with thunder and lightning but very little rain.  The cars are both filled with gas, and a list of things to take with us is always at the ready.  Mazey is at the top of the list.  The quilts, computers, and external hard drives are second on the list. 

The large Tamarack fire just south of Lake Tahoe is about 60 miles away, and seems to be burning in a northerly direction.  The smaller fires are much closer.  I'm just praying they don't blossom into a full-grown beast of a fire.


I hope you all have a great weekend.  The weekends are rolling around faster and faster.

Soon,

Lynn







15 comments:

  1. Morning! Love the table runner and ALL the Y squares. Hopefully the bears haven't done any damage to the deck rails while tight rope walking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No damage, just big footprints in the pine pollen.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry to hear there are sooo many little fires in the area around you. I've been so fixated on the Dixie Fire above us in Plumas Co, growing by leaps and bounds, that I haven't focused on the bigger picture of the state.
    Take care my friend, Sharon McD
    PS: I love the table runner...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet you can see all of the plumes of smoke from your location. I heard that Quincy was evacuated this morning due to another spinoff of the Dixie fire. Scary times.

      Delete
    2. Sooo smokey, I cant stay outside for very long least my lungs start screaming. They evacuated Quincy, Chester, Lake Almanor... apparently the plan is to let it burn into old burn scar areas...Carr, Camp. Let's hope they dont start naming them alphabetically like hurricanes... that would make it just too routine.

      Delete
    3. Such beautiful areas of the state are going up in flames. The problem is we will have several more months of this until the rainy season.....if we have a rainy season.

      Delete
  3. I don't know what's scarier - another bear on the deck or the fires closing in. Oh wait - yes I do....the fires closing in. No wonder you didn't sleep well! In the meantime, keep a noodle handy - maybe if you pound on the window often enough with it, they'll be too scared and use their own noodles before invading your deck!! Be safe you two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take a bear any day over the horrific fires. We have a good three more months of fire season.....yuck!

      Delete
  4. Love your tablerunner! So sorry about the fires. Praying you all will be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY! Another bear on the deck, AND Fire not too far from you. Praying for you and for safety of all others in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like there was a very good reason you were off your schedule. Between the fires and the bears, I'd be on edge too. What a sweet table runner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Monique D (Belgique)July 26, 2021 at 2:05 AM

    Cela doit être bien agréable de suivre une formation avec toi. Tu prépares tout avec tellement de soin et ton enseignement doit être semblable.
    Je pense beaucoup à toi car ici en Belgique il est assez bien question des feux aux E.U.
    S'habitue-t-on à ce genre de situation ?
    A très bientôt j'espère.
    P.S. J'aurais très peu face à un ours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you take care and be safe!! The bear thing would scare me more than the fires I think!!Glad you have your bug out bag ready! Hopefully there will be no winds!! And do you have me on your retreat list? I'd like to come when Betty comes. Have you heard: we are going to be just about a half hour away from each other!! Hugs, H

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lynn
    I want to purchase the peek a boo pumpkin, how do I find it to buy the kit?
    yvonnestalteri@centurylink.net
    719-641-2184
    thank you,
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just received an e-mail from The Quilt Spot offering their BOM’s. Included was A River Runs Through It, but your name is no where to be found?! Credit is given to the fabric designer. I sent an e-mail inquiring on who designed this quilt as I always would like to know. It is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete