Thursday, January 6, 2022

Welcome to Sew'n Wild Oaks Blog

Update - It's a good thing I have some sharp readers in blogland!  I was notified by Sharon that you will need an additional 3-1/4 yards of the teal fabric to make this into a king-sized quilt. I appreciate the fact that she contacted me.  --Lynn

Hello Everyone,

I've been planning and waiting for an entire year for my A Ribbon Runs Through It block of the month to begin........and we are off and running!  Many of you have received you first month's fabric installment and pattern to start making this heirloom quilt. Some of you are just now reading my blog for the first time.  Welcome to the Sew'n Wild Oaks family.  


I'll be here to answer your questions and walk you through the process.  There are links in your pattern to my free classes on The Quilt Show.com which will also help you.  At the top of my blog, I have an entire section set aside for tutorials.  The first block tutorial is finished, and I will be adding more over the next few months.

I received an email from a BOM participant asking me about adding an additional border to make the quilt fit a king size bed.  I opened my project in EQ software and added an extra 1" pink border, and 6" teal border and achieved this dramatic look.  The fabrics are now available in many online shops or in your local quilt store.  Get your additional fabric now before they're gone.  To keep the orientation of the floral pattern all lined up properly, I would purchase an additional 3-1/4 yards of teal and 1/3 yard of the pink.  I cut my borders lengthwise.  Refer to your pattern for the cutting directions.  I'm very anal, and I have to have my flowers all facing the same direction.   

I think this would enhance the quilt without having to add additional blocks.  I envision beautiful feathers machine quilted in the border.


It's not too late to jump on board and join this BOM program. Many quilt shops are just now starting their programs and other shops will begin in February.

During the great power outage of 2021/2022, Mr. Joe and I finished stuffing all of the patterns, and we are still shipping them out on a weekly basis to shop around the world.  Some shops have re-ordered 3 times!  Mr. Joe is so happy to have job security. I'm happy to keep Mr. Joe occupied during these cold, snowy Winter days.

Soon,
Lynn



39 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt, Lynn! I like the idea of adding the additional border to make it larger. Poor Mazey is stuck in front of the fire while job security is taking place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mazey is so spoiled. She always gets her runs, walks and playtime every day. She insists on it!

      Delete
    2. If I increase this quilt to a king what size are my borders and how much backing do I need using 108 backing and how much extra for binding do I need and what fabric am I using for the binding

      Delete
  2. Beautiful quilt! I can't wait to get my pattern and fabric. I don't think Fat Quarter Shop is mailing them out until around the 9th. This is going to be a fun project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will get to see the gorgeous fabrics soon, Donna. I think you will love them.

      Delete
  3. Can't wait for to begin! If we add the additional borders will there be enough backing fabric preordered fit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your question, Rosanna. You would need 10 yards of backing. That includes adding 4" to allow for machine quilting.

      Delete
  4. Off and running, Lynn!!!! What a great way for us to start our new year!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will be a pro at this one, Paula - my pattern tester!

      Delete
  5. I like Jeanne's comment - Mazey has the life of Riley, er...Mazey! I'm so happy for you, Lynn! This is truly a masterpiece (pun intended?)! And also agreeing with Paula, a terrific way to begin the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mazey has such a good life. She and we are so lucky to have each other.

      Delete
  6. Sew stunning🪡🧵♥️ I love the effect of the additional borders!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just paid my 1st invoice!! It covered the 1st month and the backing that I ordered separately!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are smart to get your backing now, Paula!

      Delete
  8. Just wanted to say thank you for all your extra information on this block never thought about the direction of the print on fabric with such detail. My kit was messed up when they sent it to so took a look here for info and I was just amazed. I was wondering how long all this will be here because I have a few other tops on the fire but I don’t want to loose all this info will I be able to get this information I a year or so still

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad my information is helpful, Patricia. I will leave it up on my blog for years...so you will have plenty of time to work on other projects.

      Delete
  9. Great idea for making this into a king size quilt and great idea by Paula to get the backing fabric now, you might not be able to get it later. Say hi to Mazey!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The added border really helps frame the quilt, thanks for the how-to.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just got my first package today for this beautiful quilt. I, too, like the idea of turning it into a king size. Does the 3.5 yrds of extra fabric for the 6" border also include enough for the extra length needed for the binding? I've already ordered the extra 3.5 yrds, then thought about this question, so I hope it does. I'm so excited about this project. Thanks for your guidance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for asking. Yes, you will have enough for binding. I love the look of the double border.

      Delete
  12. Hi Lynn! I can't wait for my 1st block to come in. I'm so far behind on last year's UFO but I'm determined to keep up on this one. Lololol we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just a block a week for the first six months. You can do it Lynn! I know you can. I've seen your work.

      Delete
  13. Good Morning Lynn. Question. Why do you say to starch the fabric and LET IT DRY before you iron it?
    Love reading your blog. I have learned so much and your patterns are so much fun.
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question, Claire. Your iron will distort the fabric if you don't let it dry completely. It makes me happy that you enjoy the blog!

      Delete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. If I need to add the extra border, what do I do for the backing? I have 3 yards of 108" backing. How much more of that size fabric will I need?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you purchase another half yard of the 108" backing you will have enough to piece the back. The final size of the quilt will be 114" x 114".

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. I think there are probably a lot of us who bought the backing kit for the quilt with 3 yards of the 108" fabric, so some instructions on how to make the backing the right size for a king size quilt would be wonderful!

      Delete
    4. I will put something together to address this, Jana. I almost always piece my backs.

      Delete
  16. Thank you for sharing your time, talent and skills.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have received my package for this BOM! Wow! It’s much prettier than it looks in the pics. I can’t seem to find a link for the tutorial for the first block. Can you please direct me where to go? Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's the link, Vicky. http://sewnwildoaks.blogspot.com/p/a-ribbon-runs-through-it.html
      Take a look at the subjects at the top of the blog and you will see A RIBBON RUNS THROUGH IT BLOCK #1
      --Lynn

      Delete
  18. I would love to make matching pillow shams. Any plans for that pattern?

    ReplyDelete