Monday, August 8, 2022

Life is Like a Box of Chocolates

 Hello Everyone,

I heard from my friend Susan, the owner of Quails Nest Quilt Company in Sonora, CA.  She has two kits available, and I wanted to pass the information along.  One of the kits is for my Crossing the Pond design.


The kit is identical to the quilt with no fabric substitutions.  This is probably the last kit for this quilt on the planet!  The quilt size is 82" x 82".


The fabric is packaged in this beautiful, decorative box.  The cost is $228 with the pattern.  $205 without the pattern.

The next kit she has is a complete A Ribbon Runs Through It. This quilt measures 99" x 99".


The cost of this kit is $360.00.  There are tutorials on my blog to help you make this quilt.


If you are interested in either of the kits, give Susan a call at 209-536-4009.  The shop is closed on Monday so you will need to leave a message.  Time is of the essence.

News on the home front.

We are slowly migrating everything from our home in the Bay Area to the cabin.  The big push was weekend before last as the painters were arriving on August 1st to paint the entire interior.  The new flooring starts going in today.

We looked like the Clampett's from the Beverly Hillbillies as we drove out of town with a loaded trailer and our son's pickup truck filled to the brim.  There were some pieces of furniture that I wanted to keep, that I didn't want to leave behind or give away.

Things were moving fast and furiously while we packed, and I didn't take the time to label boxes.  Now I feel like Forrest Gump and the saying life is like a box of chocolates.  When I open a box it's always a surprise to see what is inside.  I've been unpacking and repacking like items together for storage.  As I'm packing, I'm thinking why am I keeping this?  There are just some things I can't part with.  I'll let our kids make the decision at some point in time what goes and what stays.  Too many decisions right now.

Mr. Joe and I set aside several hours each day to unpack and rearrange.  It is exhausting trying to incorporate items into an already packed to the rafters cabin.  I'm sure when the time comes when we sell the cabin, a realtor will say we have to clear out about 90% of the items inside.  It would be a staging nightmare. The cabin looks like an over-crowded museum that isn't museum quality.

During all of this turmoil, I'm running the business, answering emails, filling orders, and mailing out quilts to shops around the country.  I'm also working on the tutorial for the leftover fabric from A Ribbon Runs Through It.  

My next retreat is in 3 weeks....YIKES!  By the time the girls arrive I will be a zombie. I have to make sure I have enough handouts for all the tutorials, kits for the classes, and all of the "step-outs" in some semblance of order for the classes.  Maybe I'll have my friends teach the classes......and you know who you are!  I'll sit in the back of the lecture area catching 40 winks.  I keep telling myself to take one day at a time and get done what I'm physically able to do. 

On the fabric line front, my block of the month will be introduced March 2023 and start shipping in July 2023.  The stike-offs should arrive in 2-3 weeks.  The sample yardage will arrive in October.  Then it's "balls to the wall" to make the quilt, write the pattern and prepare the cutting chart for the quilt shops.  The good thing is the move will be done and off of my plate.  The bad news is all of the above tasks of quilt making and pattern writing will be happening over the Holidays.  I can't believe I just referenced the Holidays which will be here soon.

I'm off to the pool this morning to swim laps and exercise these aching muscles.  It's "my time" to think and plan my day.  I feel so refreshed and energized when I get back to the cabin.  It drives Mr. Joe crazy!

Soon,
Lynn







12 comments:

  1. I don't know how you do it, but you do. Glad you have your swim time to relax and think. Have a great day. Can't wait to see your new fabric line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow everything gets done.....not always done well....but done.

      Delete
  2. Paula B. here: I'm exhausted just reading your post, Lynn, and I'm in constant amazement... So glad that your "Beverly Hillbilly" adventure was completed safely and that the release dates for your fabric and BOM will afford you SOME breathing time! Maybe you could decorate for the Holidays now so you can relish the season as you work on the release??? (Don't hit me!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are treading on thin ice, Paula! First you won't protect me from the bears (inside joke here) now you want me to decorate for Christmas?? You my dear will be teaching the first class at the retreat while I snooze!

      Delete
    2. Oh man Paula! You really did it to get to teach the first class….! Better watch yourself or you’ll be teaching the second class also!

      Delete
  3. From Paula B.: Love you Ladies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading this post!!! I have no other comments as I would be terrible teaching a quilting class. Paula will be excellent and almost as entertaining as you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would be a wonderful teacher, Madeleine! I'll keep you in mind too.

      Delete
    2. Have no fear everyone!! Paula's teaching nothing. Zip, nada, bupkis, goose eggs...

      Delete
  5. I love with it I can keep track of what you’re doing. You and Joe are busy busy people but I think you enjoy every minute of giving yourselves to others. Of course I am feeling anxious about missing out on the retreats but that’s the way it is. So is there any possibility I could finagle The materials that you’re using for the lesson? (Just a thought) 🤗 Fran

    ReplyDelete