Hello Everyone,
I spent three days in my old hometown of Paradise, California last week for a guild lecture and workshop. I was a bit apprehensive about going, as I hadn't been to Paradise since the town was almost completely destroyed by fire in 2018. Eighty-five people lost their lives in the fire. 153,000 acres were burned; 18,000 structures were lost including 11,000 homes. My family home was one of the homes lost.
The original welcome to Paradise sign was destroyed in the fire and has been replaced with a new one.
This is what it used to look like, and it is the memory I will always hold. The woods where we used to play have been totally replaced by tacky apartments.
As we drove around town, there were no longer any landmarks left for us to find our way around. We completely missed the turnoff to our grandparents' old home. Paradise used to be covered in towering pine trees, and now they are almost all gone. BUT, the cemetery is still completely intact. Every tree is still standing.
We drove up to Paradise Lake where I spent many happy hours fishing with my dad. The fire got close to the lake, but fortunately it was still the same lake I remember. The one remaining memory left intact.
The rebuilding is picking up steam, and we saw new construction after new construction everywhere. The phrase 'Paradise Rising' is all over town.
Tuesday morning, I spoke at the Ridge Quilters' Guild. I love to see the show and tell and this one didn't disappoint.
My friends, Laura, Tina and Laura surprised me by each making my Leaf Peepers quilt design. Each so different and all so pretty.
Here are just a few of the many beautiful quilts.
Monday night, Gail and I had dinner with a friend I hadn't seen in 30 years, and we had a lot of catching up to do. Teri lost her home, but she still lives in the area.
On our way back to the motel after dinner, I took a detour to view the sunset over Butte Canyon. Years ago, Mr. Joe and I came very close to buying a home on the canyon to be closer to my parents in their later years......that home is now gone too.
Wednesday morning, I taught my Patchwork Math class at the recreation center.
As soon as I returned to the cabin from Paradise, we headed to Livermore to attend our son's 50th birthday party with family at friends at a local restaurant.
Here are the loves of my life, my three children.
This week, after I finished filling all of the Etsy orders, I started preparing for my class and trunk show in Loomis, California for the Pioneer Quilter's Guild. I'm teaching Lucy Boston blocks for the class. My dining room table is filled with kits and blocks. This quilt has been my ongoing, travel project for the last 15 years! Of all my UFO's this is the one I want to finish first.
This is my last quilting road trip of the year and possibly forever. It's hard work preparing for a trunk show and class......in fact it's exhausting. I really enjoy meeting and being with the quilters, and I will miss that interaction.
As soon as I get back, I'm heading to Livermore to go to my granddaughter's wedding shower. My daughter and DIL have been busily making table decorations and planned the entire celebration. I just need to show up the day before and help decorate. It's so nice to have the youngun's take over while I step back and enjoy the day.
The night before the shower, our grandson is a participant in the Rowell Ranch Rodeo, so we are going to have a fun-filled weekend with family!
Soon,
Lynn




.jpeg)
.jpeg)














my guild at the time sent 2 boxes of quilty supplies to paradise quilters...looks like they made good use of them!!!
ReplyDeleteThey are a very creative and resilient group. Thank you so much for supporting them.
Delete