Saturday, March 19, 2011

Pastel Heartfire

Hello Everyone,

Yesterday was machine quilting day and my back will attest to that! It is telling me that I was standing at the machine much too long!  Even though it was a dreary, rainy and cold day here in California, it looked like Spring had arrived in my quilting room as soon as Hearfire was loaded on the machine.  The quilt is composed of about 5 different lines of Fig Tree and Co. fabric.  They mix and match and play so nicely with each other.


The borders were fun to quilt but the individual blocks aren't any fun at all!  Stitching in the ditch is my least favorite way to stitch but there was no getting around it for this block design.  The Dream Wool batting makes the blocks pop!


I have been saving my pennies for a set of micro-handlebars for my Handi Quilter. I picked them up last week at Bearly Quilting, an authorized Handi Quilter dealer.  I love the handlebars and they are worth their weight in gold!  They are positioned lower on the machine making it much easier to do much more detailed quilting.  I can't wait to quilt an appliqued quilt.  (First I have to finish one!)


The lower handlebars make it much easier to backtrack on the feathers.  The new handlebars make everything easier once you get used to them.

I'll be working at the shop today, so Heartfire will have to wait to be finished tomorrow.  I'm down to the last row of blocks then let the fun begin on the rest of the borders!

As always,

Lynn

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, Lynn!! I cannot wait to start my Heartfire! Soon I hope. I'm putting it on the schedule! I've been pondering how I will quilt it as well. Yes, I believe stitching in the ditch around those blocks is the way to go. I may shamelessly copy you. :-) You designed such a beautiful quilt! So talented!! Did you turn the quilt to do the borders?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such a tedious job, but so rewarding when you see the results. I often wish I could quilt my own applique quilts because I have thoughts about how I would like it to be quilted. Nice job Lynn. Hope to see the quilt when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful, Lynn! I love how there is no backing over stitches in your feathers! Can't wait to see this finish!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for telling us your choice of batting and how it accents your quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. FANTASTIC.. FABULOUS .. Gorgeous .. No better words to describe your Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so looking forward to seeing this one when you take it off the frame. It is going to be another stunner.

    ReplyDelete