Thursday, July 11, 2019

If you see something......

Hello Everyone,
 
If you have been following my blog, you know that my sister Gail and I do almost everything together.  Here we are at a quilt retreat last May in Susanville.  With my sister's permission, I'm going to relate her story. 
 


Eleven years ago Gail was diagnosed with breast cancer.  She had a double mastectomy to rid herself of this insidious cancer.  At the time, through genetic testing, chemotherapy was ruled out, as she wouldn't benefit from it.  She also didn't have radiation, as it was not in the current protocol to administer radiation to patients who have lupus.

Over the past eleven years, she continued to have her regular check-ups.....all showed her cancer free.

About three years ago, she noticed a change in an area in the scar tissue.  Her doctor performed a needle biopsy, and it came back negative.  The area wasn't bothering her and she took the doctor at his word.  A couple of months ago she noticed a change in the area.  Again, she went back to her doctor a couple of weeks ago, and he said it was nothing.  But, he did suggest she have an ultra sound.  The technician who performed the ultra sound, said it was nothing.  The nurse told Gail she should ask to have a punch biopsy.  The biopsy came back positive.....the cancer had returned.

Had the nurse not suggested the biopsy, this story may have a different ending.

What I want to share with you is:  If you see something, say something.  This is your body, you know it best.  Gail followed her intuition, and a nurse substantiated her thoughts.

The good news is the bone scan and C/T scan both came back negative.  The cancer has not metastasized to other organs.  On Monday, Gail went in for surgery and had the area removed.  We are awaiting the results of the pathology report to find out the next steps.  Gail is doing great!  She's already back to her normal routine and is pain free.....thanks to the drugs and ice.

During the passage of the last eleven years, new research has been conducted and protocols have changed.  We will find out soon if she is a candidate for radiation.

Gail wanted me to share her story to elevate cancer awareness.  Follow your instincts.  Get a second opinion.....or third if you feel something is wrong.  Schedule a mammogram that you've been putting off.  Take care of yourself......you have a lot of quilts to finish!

Needless to say I haven't been doing much quilting lately.  Today I'm getting ready for a workshop and trunk show in Concord, CA for the Quilt Guild of Contra Costa County this Saturday and Monday.  Pacific Gas and Electric notified us there is going to be a scheduled power outage from 9am to 3pm today.  Yikes!  I have to get printing NOW and doing everything I do before a workshop.  Maybe this would be a good day to sit on the deck and read.

Soon,
Lynn



 

18 comments:

  1. I hope all goes well for your sister. My sister is also my brst friend. What a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad Gail advocated and was able to get the care she needed. Also glad she is recuperating so well. Hugs to both of you. My sister is living here in Cambria and doing great! Great with an exclamation point! Her ugly cancer appears to be very much in remission and she is enjoying good health and a lovely new (to her) home. I love having her so close.

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad your sister is doing ok - and glad that she kept going back to find out what was going on

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad your Gail kept asking and the cancer was found early. Best wishes for her recovery and a cancer free life. Mammograms are so important. Last year I was diagnosed with breast cancer, found through my annual mammogram. It was too small to even feel yet but with early detection and treatment I am now cancer free. I wish her a speedy recovery and a long healthy life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A similar thing happened to my mother-in-law. The "area" was declared benign by her oncologist. She decided to have it checked out by her dermatologist, who ordered a biopsy. Guess what - another reoccurrence of her breast cancer.

    This is a very important message, Lynn. Thank you for posting it. And good luck to Gail!


    ReplyDelete
  6. I could feel the sister love in your writing. Thanks to both of you for sharing that love. I feel blessed to have the two of you come into my life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing Gail all the best as she recovers. Thanks for sharing this story. It sure makes you think!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The lesson--never be afraid to seek a second/third opinion. It's your life, your body. Best wishes for Gail. I'm sure you are a wonderful support.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Prayers and thoughts for Gail and you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very inspiring story for everyone to take care of themselves. Doctors have been trained but mostly on averages. We are all individual and should pay the most attention to ourselves. We can and should be our own best friend!

    Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for Gail for not taking "nothing is wrong" when she knew better, and yay to the nurse for for suggesting an additional test. Hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sure pays to be persistent. My best thoughts for you and Gail

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gail, I'll be saying healing prayers for you. I'm just a short drive away.....please let me know if I can do anything for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I understand. A year ago this last spring the side of hubby's face swelled up. Dr. said it was nothing and would go away. It didn't. He went to see someone else, Skin cancer/lymph node … removed last fall and scans no longer light up. He is not getting monthly immuno-therapy... vitamins and stuff to fight the recurrence.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you all for your best wishes and support! I do have a wonderful support system with Lynn at the top of the list! Love & Hugs, Gail

    ReplyDelete
  16. My love and prayers are with you both. Give Gail a BIG hug for me!

    ReplyDelete