Monday, August 5, 2019

Know When to Hold'em

Hello Everyone,
 
Know when to fold'em.  If you've been wondering what I've been up to......well here you go.  I'm thigh high in preparations for my Sew'n Wild Oaks retreat the end of this month.  After that I have the Mountain Heirloom Quilt Faire, then my second retreat.  All three of these major events call for a ton of product.  I had to call in the troops to help with all of the cutting, folding and packaging. 
 

Here are the fat 1/8th fans.  Thirty six different fat 1/8th's per fan.  Over 100 yards of fabric needed to be cut and folded into these attractive fans.


Here are just some of the fans on display.


I couldn't have done this without the help of my sister Gail, and my other "sisters" Paula, and Karen.  They worked so hard for three days to turn yardage into kits, bundles, and fabric fans.  They worked tirelessly with smiles and laughter.  There was a bit of food too!


It takes a long time to cut 108 yards of fabric into fat 1/8th's.  The day before, we cut another 100 yards of fabric into 2-1/2" strips for the Cute as a Button kits. Our rotary cutters were smoking hot!


We worked into the evening.  As you can see, Paula has collapsed onto the piles. 


We all worked so well together.  I showed them what needed to be done and they did it.  We were a well orchestrated group. The girls boxed 640 note cards into boxes.  The printer was running constantly until I ran out of note card paper.



Here are some of the Cute as a Button kits, boxes of note cards, and kits for Lucy Boston blocks.  My great room turned into the great packing, cutting and folding room.  We had tables all over and we had to wind our way through the stacks of stuff.  One of us even tripped and fell over the piles.  I'm not mentioning any names, but we cut her off from the Margarita machine!


It wasn't work, work, work all the time.  We started our weekend off with a drive up the mountain to attend a concert at the Bear Valley Music Festival.  We saw Joel the Band, a Billy Joel tribute band that captivated us from the first note to the last.  I would definitely go back to see them again.  The concert set the tone for our weekend as we listened to the Billy Joel channel on Pandora for three days.  We are fans of the band, and I guess we could be considered a groupie.



I still have more to do to get ready for the first group of 36 quilters for my retreat at Snowflake Lodge the last week of August.  I feel so much more prepared now thanks to the help of my quilting sisters.  Their hard work is going to make it easier for me to sleep at night.

The fun continues today as four of the six grandchildren will be here for the next three days.  Some of them are too young to use a rotary cutter.....darn.  We will be spending our time outside at the lake and in the pool.  They love to shoot the air rifle at targets and cans.  We will play games until the cows come home into the wee hours.  We will take them home exhausted and filled with memories of time spent at the cabin with Grammy and Poppy.  We will be napping for most of Thursday.

Soon,
Lynn

12 comments:

  1. Wow! That is amazing! So much fabric and made into fans....by a great group of workers. There was no mention of cookies. I'm sure Gail got her fill of cookies as pay...what did Karen and Paula get for pay, cookies also? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! That's a huge job and you pulled it off with the help of wonderful family and friends. A family friend on this end once referred to our home as 'the house of industry' but I think you might have just assumed the title :). I noticed the risers at the base of your table legs in one of the pics - is that something that you bought or did Mr. Joe make them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! What a whirlwind weekend of fun and of course work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the "meows of cows" in the morning!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really looking forward to the August retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Busy hands are happy hands - yes, and in this case those hands have made me very happy and excited for the retreat. Thanks to you four! My hands have been busy cutting Heartier 1 1/4" inch strips getting ready for my retreat activity. Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What wonderful memories you made this week-end! Hugs to Gail!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a whole lot of cutting and packing,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those bundles look wonderful! My back and wrists would be killing me. You have really good friends.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 108 yards cut into 1/8 is 864 fat eighths! That's lot of pretty folding to do!!! Glad you were in good company. Now take a little breather, relax.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmmm.... Those fat eighth bundles look really delicious!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete