Monday, February 10, 2020

Red Sky At Night

Hello Everyone,
 
Well I did it!  Red Sky is together and waiting for borders.
 

This quilt looks much more complex than it actually is.  There are only two different blocks in the quilt, 18 star blocks, and 17 chain blocks.  The fabrics were designed by Betsy Chutchian for Moda, and are called Nancy's Needle.

Each star block has a different paisley in the center.

 
There are only two seams per side that had to be matched when joining the blocks together. That makes life easy.
 


This week I want to get the borders on her, make the backing, and get her on the long arm.  The weather is halfway decent, so I won't have to wear my long johns, leg warmers, and gloves while I'm quilting her in the detached, unheated, garage.

Since the name for this quilt is Red Sky At Night, I think I'll name the next one Sailors' Delight.

Soon,
Lynn

16 comments:

  1. no space heaters :) I think if I was quilting in a garage I would sure need a couple - the quilt is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,
      I have a space heater.....but it's like heating a barn, and I'm always on the move. As long as it doesn't drop into the 40's, I'll be okay....I think. --Lynn

      Delete
  2. It's looking so beautiful! Yay for quilting weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for not freezing to death while quilting! Do you know how unusual this is for February in the mountains? --Lynn

      Delete
  3. This might be my new favorite :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Loris! It's my new favorite. --Lynn

      Delete
  4. It is gorgeous! I love the name too! Can't wait to get Betsy's new line. I just love all her fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I guess I have to change the name. Someone, who I know, told me they have a older pattern called Red Skys at Night. So I'm going to change mine. Come to find out, there are quite a few quilts patterns with that name. I think I'll have a naming contest on my blog. --Lynn

      Delete
    2. Oh how frustrating. I'm sure you'll come up with something equally delightful, but still... the duo will be watching.

      Delete
    3. Make that a trio Sharon. Tell Sarah to pack her bags for the October Retreat! And yes, it is frustrating.

      Delete
  5. I see lots of quilt patterns with the same name, especially when I'm googling for a certain pattern. Lovely, lovely quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll have a quilt naming contest Gretchen. Maybe then someone will come up with a very unique name for the quilt. --Lynn

      Delete
  6. Beautiful quilt, Lynn! Wanted to also let you know that I made your Coffee Orange Fudge Cake for last weekend's retreat. Huge hit! Many copies passed around. Thank you for making me look good!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that cake sinfully good! I'm so glad you made it Susie, and that it was a hit. --Lynn

      Delete
  7. I want to say how much I like the star block centers, colors, and especially the backing fabric being the same on each one. Red Sky will be a challenge, but so interesting to make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always so good to hear from you Fran. Both of the blocks are fun and fairly easy to make. They aren't as challenging as you think they might be. Take care, Lynn

      Delete