Sunday, December 5, 2021

Around the Cabin

 Hello Everyone,

Yesterday was one of those cozy, lazy days when we enjoyed the fruits our or decorating labor, and two football games.  A chill set in during the afternoon, so it was time to build a fire to warm up these old logs and old bones at the same time.


I put every quilt on display that has red or green in it.  To me the traditional colors of Christmas are red and green. I am not a turquoise and pink Christmas gal.


The buffalo check ribbon is perfect for the mantle.  


I love to have the cabin all decorated and the boxes stored out of sight.  Every year I tell myself to sort through the boxes and get rid of some things that I no longer need or use.  I actually did that last year and gave a lot of "cabiny" ornaments away to a new, young family who moved in across the street.  They lasted only a year in this environment and sold their cabin this summer.  They really weren't prepared for our winters without a generator and a decent fireplace.  There were days when they had no hot water, no decent heat source, no Internet or TV, and couldn't cook on their electric stove.  When people buy cabins in the mountains they fall in love with the scenery, and romantic notion of mountain life.  The idea they may have to live "off the grid" never enters their thought process.

There have been days at a time when we are living off the grid.  We've always been warm, comfortable and have a freezer full of food.  We go out for walks in the Winter Wonderland, and snow blow the driveway until we are blue in the face.....literally!

We have a fun day planned with my sister, my cousin and a good friend.  I'll tell you all about it in my post tomorrow.

Soon,
Lynn

 







7 comments:

  1. your cabin looks so beautiful I love that fireplace area - the river rock in back of it - wow! love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. The fireplace is the cornerstone of the cabin. It's not only functional, it's a place where I sit for hours.

      Delete
  2. Everything looks beautiful Lynn!! And warm!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toasty & beautiful. I wonder if the young couple ever saw your bear? That might've been the last straw for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they saw bears multiple times. They would see them on their property, and text me they were headed our way.

      Delete
  4. Your home looks so warm and inviting. What a beautiful holiday display.

    ReplyDelete