Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Skating on Thin Ice


Hello Everyone,

Another little corner of the cabin is decorated for Christmas.  I have just way too much fun creating these little areas of joy.


The ice skates belonged to my mother.  She brought them with her when she moved from upstate New York to San Mateo, California in 1942.  My mother, my aunt and my grandmother, came across country on a troop train of all things, to join my grandfather who arrived earlier to start a business with his brother.  I guess my mom thought she could go ice skating in sunny California in an indoor rink, as it doesn't snow very much, if at all in the San Francisco Bay Area.

The skates haven't been used in over sixty years, but they certainly make a nice decoration.  The last time I went ice skating was at Squaw Valley in the late 1960's.  I fell, split my pants, and haven't put on another pair of skates since.  It was quite embarrassing when my date saw my pink, long underwear that I had borrowed from my grandmother!  Yes, that same grandmother from the troop train.

The quilt in the background is my Crossing the Pond quilt hanging on a ladder.  There is enough red in the quilt to make the cut for Christmas decorating.


A few years ago, I designed this pillow pattern called Checkerberry.  I set up a scene outside, in the snow for the pattern cover.  The skates were the perfect addition along with the Flexible Flyer sled.


This is real snow on the pillow, and this shot is the actual pattern cover.  If you look closely at the right-hand side of the picture, you can see the flakes falling.


Speaking of snow, it looks like there are going to be a few snowflakes headed our way next week.  Quite often during the first snow of the season, the Internet will go out along with phone, TV, and power.  If you don't hear from me, here's proof of my alibi for not blogging.  It's going to be a cold, stormy week, just perfect for writing Christmas cards by the fire with a latte in hand.


When I look at the 21-degree temp next Wednesday, I'm thinking I may have to put on the skates for a spin around Snowflake Lake.  In no way is that going to happen!

Soon,
Lynn








 

5 comments:

  1. Love your story this morning but ice skates are NOT for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pair of skates will never appear on my feet.....EVER again!

      Delete
  2. What a sweet story! I love your little vignettes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy. I'm so surprised the ice skates made the cut and into my mom's suitcase!

      Delete
  3. I'm the same way about water skiing. Up on Big Lake I tried twice to get up on the skiis and not wanting to land on my face I leaned back. Went over backwards both times. Not trying that again for sure!

    ReplyDelete