Monday, July 25, 2011

Minglewood Monday - Month #1

Hello Everyone,

Those of you that signed up for the Minglewood BOM have received your first bundle of fat 1/8's  to make four blocks and can begin working on your Minglewood quilt.  Go HERE to view the .pdf of the swatch sheet so you know what fabric to put where.

ARROW CROWN A BLOCK


ARROW CROWN B BLOCK

CROW'S FOOT A BLOCK


CROW'S FOOT B BLOCK

MINGLEWOOD HINTS:

1)  MEASURE TWICE, CUT ONCE!  I found that in most cases, I began cutting my pieces along the 9" side of the fat 1/8th.  For me, this made the best use of the fabric.  If you make a cutting error, (which I did) most likely you will have some extra material.....but not much.  Since this is a scrappy quilt, it is easy to substitute from your stash. 

2)  When working with stripes or directional fabric making half-square triangles, mark the back of your blocks like this which will allow you to put directional fabrics going the same direction in your block.  If you don't care which way the directional fabric goes, then don't worry about this step.

3)  When making the flying geese, you can refer to my tutorial HEREBut use the measurements that refer to YOUR block, not the block measurements in the tutorial! When you place the last square on your flying geese, flip it over and check to see if the directional material is all going the same direction.

4) Feel free to change up your colors.  This is YOUR quilt and if you don't like a particular fabric in a block, you will most likely be able to use it somewhere else in your quilt.

5)  Start a binder to keep the scraps and .pdf files organized.  It will make your life easier.

6)  If you have questions, send me an email.  patched55@comcast.net and I will respond unless I'm out hiking in the woods, my response time is a little longer!

You will find your accuracy will improve along the way....I know mine did.  I used the Bloc Loc rulers for all trimming of flying geese and half-square triangles.  The blocks become addicting and enjoyable.  You will be using all of the same piecing techniques throughout the whole quilt, and you will become a pro! 

So there you go.  Let the sewing begin!!

As always,

Lynn

3 comments:

  1. These blocks are SO striking, Lynn, especially the first two! Wish I had a bed big enough for this project!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you purchase the Bloc Loc rulers? Just bought the Minglewood book. Thinking about making the BOM quilt in Christmas Fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! I didn't realize you were going to supply hints like this for the BOM. I really love this even more now.

    ReplyDelete