Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Long Arm is a Hummin'

 
Hello Everyone,
 
I've been so anxious to get For the Love of Baskets on the long arm and yesterday was the day!
 

 
I completed eight hearts, twelve more to go. They are free motion and some of them are a little more free than others!  I use an acrylic template for the heart and then I start making the feathers up one side and down the other.  The curved cross-hatching is the last step. 
 


When the late afternoon sun shines through the window, I can finally get a good picture of the scalloped border.
 
I've always wanted to try the little pebble quilting on a quilt.  Yesterday was the day!  I'm so glad I have the micro handle bars on my HandiQuilter. They really helped with this detailed quilting.  I think they are going to look like a string of pearls running around the scalloped border.


It's slow going, but row by row, this quilt is going to be finished in the next few days and on display in my booth at the quilt show in Pleasanton. I can't wait to get this quilt off of the machine to see how the feathers, border and baskets all interact.....there's going to be a lot to look at!  Hopefully one aspect of the quilt won't overpower other elements.


I saw this on Pinterest yesterday right after I finished marking the scalloped border.  It made me laugh. 


I'll be quilting for most of the day.  My buddies, the Needle Nellies from Georgetown, CA hired a limo for their bi-annual shop hop, and they are coming to town this morning.  I'll run over to the shop to see them and then it's back to quilting. 

Soon,
Lynn

21 comments:

  1. This is just amazing. I love the quilt top, but your quilting is out of this world! The feathered heart is just gorgeous, but then with the curved cross hatching...LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The baskets are just coming fantastic - ooooooo!! A limo - now that's a way to do a shop hop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilting is fabulous! Amazing! Just had to tell you!

    Cheery wave from Bev

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this idea of hiring a limo for the shop hop! Make it a stretch. The driver probably thinks they are totally wacko.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just love the quilting...can't wait to see it in person......limo......what a great idea....if there were a bunch of girls it wouldn't be too expensive especially if the hop was a large one....with the price of gas and all....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh so pretty! Do I see a scalloped border? Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The quilting is just stunning. I love what you did on the border and it does look like a pearl necklace. You'll wow everyone at the quilt show for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow! It is looking amazing! Thanks for sharing the process.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All I can say is I need to channel you somehow, Lynn! Totally stunning work! I'm sure it will all interact - I read yesterday that most show quilts nowadays have no space greater than 1/4" between stitching! The cartoon made my day!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a fantastic quilting.
    Grit

    ReplyDelete
  11. The pebbling is perfect! I've tried it before and it's not easy. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to see the quilt!! It's amazing.

    And $2K for a donated quilt???? Under valued!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely yummy just love how the quilting is turning out on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's going to look stunning when finished. Clever you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your quilting is Amazing !!!!!!! This i going to be a wonderful heirloom quilt !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, if that isn't some of the most beautiful quilting I have ever seen.......

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really beautiful work! Love how the quilt looks. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just Beautiful can't wait to see it all.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your quilting continues to amaze me! And love the cartoon...giggle!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is going to look just fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just ADORE this quilt! Your fabric choices are FABULOUS and THE quilting is DASTERLY good!!!

    Oh YES.....I.LIKE.

    ReplyDelete