Tuesday, October 17, 2017

The Calm Before the Storm

Hello Everyone,

You must be thinking that I've been very quiet lately, and you are correct.  I'm busily cutting fat quarter towers, fat 1/8 bundles, and printing patterns for my booth at the Independence Hall Quilt Guild show this weekend at Ironstone Winery in Murphys. 

I've tried to fit in a bit of sewing also on the quilt that I'm teaching during the cruise to Alaska next July.  It sounds like it is way in the future.....but in reality, it will be here before I know it.

 
I'm teaching Patchwork Math on the cruise up to Alaska.  On the way back, I'm going to include everything I taught during class into a component friendly quilt.  I'm trying to incorporate blocks with an Alaskan theme.  Of course Bear Paw is one of them!  I scoured my quilting resource books and came up with other blocks which will be perfect for this quilt.  Glacier Bay, Gold Rush, Aurora, Black Spruce, Denali and Midnight Sun are some of the blocks that will be in the quilt.  This design is unlike anything else I've done in the past.  Stay tuned to watch me break out of my quilting box. 

After preparing for the show all day, Mr. Joe, Mazey and I take an early evening walk around Snowflake Lake to enjoy some of the Fall colors.


We walk through the woods to get to the lake, so we leave the cabin well before dark.  We don't want to come face to face with Mama and baby bear in the dark.  I'm not too sure that Mazey will protect us.  She will probably run full speed into Mr. Joe's arms if she saw them.


We have also been raking, and raking.  It seems like we are raking the entire forest clear of pine needles.  The current fires have literally lit a "fire" under us to get the lot cleared of debris.  A large container is being delivered this morning which we will fill up, and have hauled away.  I LOVE being outdoors this time of year.  It's not hot, it's not cold, it's just right said Graylocks! (Mazey is Goldilocks)

In addition to getting ready for the show, I'm preparing for the arrival of 36 quilters to Snowflake Lodge for retreat #2 starting the 23rd of October.  I'm printing tutorials, and making sure all of the retreat gifts are finished.  Lots to do!  What was I thinking scheduling two major events back to back?


Today is cleaning and grocery shopping day.  A couple of my friends, and my sister Gail, are arriving early to help me with the show and then the retreat.  The cabin is going to be bursting with activity, good food, and lots of laughter. If I play my cards right, I can delegate all of the chores to my friends, while I escape and sit by the lake to begin my long winter's nap!

Soon,
Lynn

5 comments:

  1. My you have been busy! I love evening walks in the Fall too and I'm glad you didn't run into Mama Bear! Have fun with your retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are cleaning the debris: these fires have made us clear up the outside too! Have fun at your next two events, and don't work too hard!! Hugs, H

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one amazing woman ! I would so much enjoy meeting you and attending a retreat with you. Love your color choices and your beautiful quilting! You are an inspiration. Thank you, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a beautiful bear paw block—look forward to seeing the rest of these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...and I know your friends will be meeting up with you to do as much as they can!!

    ReplyDelete