Friday, August 17, 2018

Inching Along

Hello Everyone,
 
I usually start my day well before sunrise in my cozy sewing room.  It is extra cozy in the winter.  During the summer, I open the windows and let the crisp, morning mountain air blow in. We keep them closed at night because we don't want a bear to breeze in right through the screen.
 

Last night, I prepared all of the little parts and pieces for the 9-patch units.  I find when I do this, I start right in quilting without wondering what I'm going to do while I'm waiting for the coffee to perk.


I put the 50 cent piece there so you could get a sense of scale.  When was the last time you had a 50 cent coin in your purse?  My grandmother used to call her purse a pocket book.  I don't think I've ever used that term.


Well before lunch time, I had most of the tabletopper together.  I just have to make two more 9-patch blocks and work on the setting triangles.  Not sure about a border yet.  I'll know once I get to that point.

 
There certainly is something to be said for making smaller projects.  I usually spend weeks, if not months on some of my quilts, (years in one case).  I'm kinda liking this small project.  I like it so much that I'm going to start a new line of patterns under the name of Sew'n Wild Oaks.  I'm calling the new line Sweet Saplings. Now I want you to try saying that fast, three times!
 
The patterns will be smaller, and cheaper.  However, these Sweet Saplings might, just might, grow into a full-sized quilt!  I'm totally hooked on making these blocks.  No special rulers, everything is cut at 1"......what could be simpler?  I guess having someone else make it would be simpler, but not as much fun as I'm having.
 
Soon,
Lynn



12 comments:

  1. Love the name you came up with and the size intrigues me. Your fabric choices and placement always sings to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I love it, Lynn! I think this si my favorite since Little Orphan Scrappy. But then, I'm a scrappy kind og a gal :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every thing cut at 1" WHEW ! That is tiny. Not only do I remember the "term" pocket book", I remember having one :-) I am now 75 and my money goes in my back pocket of my jeans. Still a "pocket book" I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. absolutely darling Lynn. I could see an applique
    in the center if you were "sew inclined". Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have a pattern yet for this little quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those little nine patches!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is wonderful Lynn. As a big fan of teenie tiny this is right in my wheel house, and with everything cut to 1" I can see where you would make great progress on it. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you on making smaller quilts! It is such a sense of accomplishment to actually finish something before the year is over! I love the name "Sweet Saplings". Just perfect. Good luck with it, I think smaller quilts are more desirable in this day and age.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your 'Sweet Saplings' is a great idea. There is a limit to how many large quilts we can have in a home but there is always room to sneak in a small one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it. What size are the finished blocks.
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete