Sunday, November 11, 2018

Paradise Lost

Hello Everyone,
 
Many of you who know me, or listened to my guild lecture, know that I grew up in Paradise.  I am just heartbroken every time I think about the horrific fire that swept through, and turned a beautiful mountain community into ashes and destroyed so many lives and dreams of a better life. 
 
We received confirmation that our family home, (which my sister and I still own), is all but a memory.  We are so lucky that our renters got out safely on Thursday.  They've lost their home, all their possessions, livelihood, school, grocery store, bank, doctor's office......everything is gone.
 
This was our little family home nestled in the pines.
 

This is a picture of what it looked like Friday night.  Through the years we had so many pictures taken in front of that fireplace, the heart of the home.  We are the lucky ones.  We still have those pictures, and we still have the happy memories.  The heart of the home is still beating and will continue to live on in our heart.  We hope to salvage some of the bricks as a memento of our youth, and happy life in Paradise.


This was our house on Edgewood Lane.  We lived here from 1952 to 1959.  Five people were found dead in their car on Edgewood Lane as they tried to flee the wind-whipped flames.  It was total gridlock and must have been horrifying.  Our guess is this home is gone too.

I named my very first quilt pattern The House on Edgewood Lane as a tribute to this little cottage.  It's the first house that I remember, and knew I was loved.  I am so glad there are so many renditions of this quilt around the country.  That makes me so happy that it will live on.
 
We do not have confirmation of our Grandmother's house on Oakwood Lane.  But in our heart, we know.
Our Grandparent's home was right around the corner from the our Maxwell Drive house.  To our knowledge, nothing was left standing on Central Park.
You can see that we have a rich history of life in Paradise dating back to the 1950's.  We are so fortunate the house we rented out was not our primary residence.  Our renters are devastated beyond belief.  They loved that little house as much as we did and have lived there for the last 8 years
 
As soon as we allowed to enter the area, we will go and see our hometown firsthand.  Our tears will be mixing with the ashes. 
 
More later, I can't see the computer screen through my tears.
 
Pray for Paradise.
 
Lynn
 


26 comments:

  1. You’ve been on my mind since I heard of this fire. I’m so sorry for your loss there. It is heart breaking to know what all this Paradise community is experiencing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heartbreak for you and so many. Keeping everyone in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for your unimaginable loss. Such a heartbreak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just so sorry for you all! Praying

    ReplyDelete
  5. No words to say how hard this must be. Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures and memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry for your loss. This kind of devastation is beyond imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lynn, I am so sorry.
    Linda, up the road a ways in Rdg.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear about your loss and that of many others. Very sad. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved that little town! I can't believe the entire town is gone! There was a great little quilt shop that I loved to visit! So sad and so many lives lost.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fires are so tragic - as Australia is heading into Summer now we don't look forward to bush fires. We are reminded on TV to have bush fire plans in place to get out before the deadly crises hit. Here it's just part of life. I have been watching the Californian horrors daily on the news. My heart goes out to you all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lynn, you were my first thought when I heard about the fire in Paradise on TV. So awful and I'm very sorry for you and the entire town and those connected to Paradise any which way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lynn, I am so sorry to hear about this...sending hugs and prayers to all those impacted by this horrible fire. My heart goes out to all. Stay strong...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel your heartbreak. I have history in Paradise as well, and am well acquainted with Edgewood Ln, ex-family had a house further on down the lane! I am sure what used to be our homes are also gone. I remember discussing this exact type of situation... when living there. The very limited paved pathways off the ridge and the problems 28000 ridge residents (back then) would have evacuating! It is so sad. My heart breaks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry about the news on your childhood homes and the family homes. At least your renters got out and are safe. Things can be replaced, memories
    are forever.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry, Lynn. The whole thing just boggles my mind. Do you have a pattern for your Edgewood Lane quilt? Maybe we should all make one to donate to those who lost their homes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Skipping through blogs this morning and happened upon yours. How horrible to see your family home gone in such a horrific way, and the loss of life that is just incomprehensible... So sorry for what you and everyone involved is going through, and continued prayers for those left behind. Blessings....

    ReplyDelete
  17. so sorry to hear of your loss. i am glad to hear that you and yours are safe my thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Lynn, I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and everyone who still lives in Paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So sorry. My heart aches for the people of that community.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I caught the tail end of the news and said to my husband, surely not - a bad bush fire this late in the year in USA? The loss of life is horrific and we are thinking of those that have lost loved ones and homes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so sorry to about this. Have been hearing about all the destruction, but hate hearing of your losses. Hugs from Kentucky!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Prayers for everyone who lost their home. So sad how this fire has spread so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear Lynn,
    I have no connection to Paradise but watching the coverage has been both gut-wrenching and heartbreaking. I cannot imagine the terror and sense of loss all who do have a connection must be feeling. So many lives lost, even more changed forever. My prayers are with you and all who have been impacted.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just so sad - a horrific tragedy with so many suffering and losing so much. It's unreal. We've supported the Red Cross so far, but if you hear of a way to help directly in the area, can you post on your blog? My heart goes out to you and the families devastated by these fires. XO

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lynn, I'm so sorry for the loss of your family home, and possibly the house on Edgewood lane. And if you hear what your renters need, please let us know. This is just horrible...and especially heart wrenching because of what our community went through last year. So Hard!!!

    ReplyDelete