Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Machine Quilting Country Courthouse

Hello Everyone,
 
Just as I get the time to machine quilt Country Courthouse, the weather turns chilly.  Some quilters have their long arms in a nice, cozy room......mine is in my garage here at the cabin in the mountains.  The good news is, the big garage door will be closed so I won't have to worry about a bear wandering in.....a very real possibility.
 

I quilted the spine on the border, then I start filling it in with feathers.  I have to take a lot of pictures, to refer to when I work my way down the quilt.  Some days my feathers can be smaller than others.  It is a real balancing act to get them even all the way around the quilt.


I have an old HandiQuilter (HQ16) vintage 2006.  This machine has been a workhorse for years and years!  I love it, even though it is not computerized at all.  I've had to teach this old dog (me, not the machine) new tricks and make it quilt what I want to quilt.  I named my machine Arthur, as in Arthur Murray, because my machine and I have learned to dance across the quilt together.  I clean it, oil it, and it is good to go.  I wish I could give myself a shot of oil in all of my working and non-working parts!  Where's Dorothy and her oil can when you need her?

I wanted to quilt something a little different in my setting triangles.  My goal is to create a lacey look around the border.  You never know what look you are going to achieve until it comes off the machine.  
 

It takes me about 4 minutes to stitch in the ditch around every Courthouse Steps block.  Multiply that times 85 blocks.  There are 64 nine patch blocks.  I haven't quilted one yet, so I can't calculate my time.  In a nutshell, I'll be quilting into infinity and beyond!


I have a small space heater in the garage which may have to be turned on today.  I wonder if I can quilt while wearing mittens??? 

Soon,
Lynn

8 comments:

  1. I quilt in my basement and there is very little heat down there (and it's very drafty -- really should get that taken care!) so I can relate to you quilting in your garage. I do have a space heater that I use but it takes time to warm up my space. I have to know ahead of time that I plan on quilting and go downstairs to turn it on. It's heated up nicely in about 1/2 hour! Your quilting is looking beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn it is beautiful. I love what you have done with the set in triangles. Have fun quilting all those court house steps and nine patches. It will be stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only been quilting on a long arm for 2 years and just use the pantographs. I'm always amazed at the designs people come up with! I really want to be able to do that, I just don't feel I'm creative enough. One of these days I'll try it I guess. Perhaps with studying a lot of others and practice, practice! I do love that quilt and can't wait to see it all finished!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is looking beautiful!! I hope you can "dance" in a warm place today!! :-) Hugs, H

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine is in storage while we are on the road. Maybe when we are finished with our trailer traveling! It’s a very pretty quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’d like to buy your Country Courthouse pattern. I will look on your Etsy page. I remember several years ago beginning another quilt. Hope I can get it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ah, good ol' Arthur Murry! That is beautiful so far, will be absolutely fantastic when done. Keep the bears out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this is looking so good! I love the contrast of the big, curvy feathers with the very straight, geometric courthouse steps. And the solid color against the busy prints. Scrumptious. Hah! I could use that oilcan now and then, too, for sure, especially when there is a change in the weather. My very basic Nolting is only a couple years older than Arthur. I like that I can clean it and oil it and give it a smile and it's good to go. Speaking of mittens, have you got yours at the ready? I understand we are to have snow in a few days. Not sure how far south that forecast extends, but just to be on the safe side....

    ReplyDelete