Monday, November 9, 2020

A Change of Seasons

Hello Everyone,

The first snow of the season provided the perfect backdrop for my newest version of Leaf Peepers.


I'll get the borders on her this week.  But by the time I do, the snow will be long gone.  We are heading into a long spell of rain.....glorious rain.  We can breathe a sign of relief that fire season will be over soon.  

For the second making of Leaf Peepers, I wanted to create a vision of leaves in the forest with a gradation of color from the light tree tops in the canopy, to the darker depths of the forest floor.

Here's my first Leaf Peepers which has a setting square between the blocks for an entirely different look.  I like this version too, and it was much easier to make.  It took me longer to get the shading just right in the batik version.


We received a bit more snow throughout the day on Sunday.  This morning, that snow has turned to a solid sheet of ice as the temperature dropped to 25 degrees.  I'll have to put on my ice skates to navigate a path outside.


It's probably a good thing I had a dull blade in my rotary cutter when I decided to roll over my index finger.  Two Band-Aids, a finger cot, and a lot of pressure later finally stopped the bleeding.  I was so lucky I didn't damage the quilt. Today is the first day I can type on the computer without hitting three keys at the same time with one finger.


There were a lot of "firsts" this weekend.  We had the first fire of the season, and the first snow of the season.  We had our first walk through the forest in the snow to the lake.  Our country has selected the first woman Vice President.  As the leaves change with the season, our country is turning over a new leaf, with a change in leadership.  I welcome this new change, as I welcome each change of the seasons.


“I wonder if the snow loves the trees and fields, that it kisses them so gently? And then it covers them up snug, you know, with a white quilt; and perhaps it says, "Go to sleep, darlings, till the summer comes again.”    Lewis Carroll.  Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

Soon,

Lynn 


10 comments:

  1. the snow is beautiful and will bring relief to the fires I'm sure which is such a good thing. the quilt is pretty! I agree on the first's including a woman as VP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can almost declare fire season over. We are supposed to get rain throughout next week, then we should be in the clear.

      Delete
  2. ouch! I hope you heal up quickly!! Yes, it was a good thing it was a dull blade!! And I LOVE the batik leaf peepers!! Just gorgeous!! Hugs, H

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post, Lynn. Well maybe not the part about your cut finger...Heal fast!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a lovely post Lynn. And ouch is right about your finger. Please heal quickly. Only a quilter and her "People" would know that it is more important that you did not get blood on your quilt rather than how badly you were cut. :)

    The photos are lovely and the closing quote so appropriate. The quilt is gorgeous. The same patter but both so different...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. If I'd bled on the red leaf, I would have been fine, and added a bit more color.....NOT.

      Delete
  5. Your batik Peepers is gorgeous! I love the saturated colors. I keep wondering when it will be my turn to have a rotary cutter accident. Does anyone ever wear gloves? Sharon at purrfection8@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've inflicted three major cuts on myself over the years from my rotary cutter. The worst was when I dropped it on my bare foot. Gloves wouldn't have helped me! But, I know a lot of quilters who do wear gloves while rotary cutting.

      Delete