Friday, July 1, 2022

Making Forward Progress

 Hello Everyone,

Mazey is channeling her inner Lab with her new "summer cut".  Her Golden Retriever feathers and hair are now on the groomer's floor.  I'm sure there were enough of her golden locks to make another dog.


Mazey helped me decorate the front porch with my Zinnie's Choice quilt.  I don't remember the name of the quilt on the chair since I made it so long ago.  I actually quilted it by hand in another lifetime.


One of the items on my long-range to-do lists is making kits for projects bags for my August retreat.  I cut four fat quarters for each kit.  I have 36 quilters coming to the retreat at the end of August.  Let's do the math, 36 x 4 = 144 fat quarters that I need to cut.  Now let's multiply that times 3 more retreats!  I have my work cut out for me.  I have 30 in the bin ready to be packaged after I cut the batting and the vinyl.
 



They will end up looking like this after I put the kits together.


The bags are so useful to hold all of your quilting tools and rulers.


The other night, our friends invited us over for dinner and Mary Sue gave me her latest project bag creation from some fabric that I'd given her.  This size is larger than the other bags so it will hold larger rulers.


Here's the back of the bag.  This one is almost too pretty to use!


It's been so warm that we've been taking our walks after dinner.  The wildflowers in the meadow are so beautiful this time of year.  It's a very pleasant walk and Mazey loves to get her daily run.  She goes three or four times farther than we do with all of her running around.


The other day I ordered a kick board to use in the pool.  I purchased an ergonomic board that is supposed to cause less strain on your shoulders and arms.  Prior to water aerobics there is lap swimming.  I thought I would swim laps with my new kick board prior to aerobics so I can get more exercise.  I left the house just before 8am thinking I could swim laps for a half hour before class.  What was I thinking?  Did I honestly think I could propel this old body from one end of the pool to the other for a half hour?  Five minutes maybe, but not a half hour!  

So, my ergonomically correct kick board and I took the plunge and started in with a halfway decent flutter kick.  I made absolutely no forward progress!  In fact, I think I was going backwards.  How embarrassing.  I tried and tried and still nothing.  I switched to the breaststroke kick and finally propelled myself forward.  When the girls arrived for the class, I had a couple of them give it a try.  Both of them had no problem making forward progress.  Mr. Joe pointed out that I have very buoyant boobs.  Well, as they say in the South, bless his heart.  

I hope you make some forward progress on your quilting this weekend.  Never to be one to give up, I'm on my way to the pool to give it another try this morning.

Soon,
Lynn

10 comments:

  1. What a cheerful post, Lynn, and a great start to this holiday weekend. Mary Sue's bag is really beautiful; I'd hesitate to use it too. I love Mazey's new "DO" but not as much as I'm sure she does! Enjoy your holiday!! P.S. I was never able to master the kick board either!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I'm not the only one that is inept at the kick board. It seemed like such a good idea at the time.

      Delete
  2. I so enjoyed reading this post. Happy 4th of July to you, Joe and all the readers. Your patriot quilts are beautiful. Mary Sue is so talented. I love the project bag. We just left Yellowstone. I saw more bears at your home than at Yellowstone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So maybe I should turn Wilder's Last Resort into a National Park and charge admission to see the bears!

      Delete
  3. Its Karen Here, I cannot make any comment - I was laughing so hard. Your words conjure up quite the picture Lynn. Mazy looks beautiful as do the arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still not used to Mazey's short haircut. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to grow back.

      Delete
  4. Mazey will have a second childhood (provided she's out of her first - giggle) with that haircut. I'm sure she appreciates the instant "weight" loss! Mary Sue has the right idea! Gorgeous bag. I was going to bring more examples of that to the October retreat, but it looks like she has it covered!! Your kick board story cracked me up! I hope you're kicking with the best of them by now! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still no forward progress.....maybe by the end of summer?????

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you tried using a pool noodle instead of the kick board? Beautiful place to walk, as long as there are no bears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a pool noodle for water aerobics, but I haven't tried it as a kick board. I think my next purchase will be swim fins.

      Delete