Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Day 2 At The Fair

Hello Everyone,

The girls finished the day with 1st and 2nd place ribbons for their goats in their FFA Market Class.  We are so proud of them.


The girls are raising their animals while working part-time and attending Modesto Junior College.  They are busy kiddos.

After the goat competition came to an end, it was right back to work bathing the 1501-pound steer named Rooster.  These girls have no fear, but they are aware that Rooster can throw a right hook with his back foot and the girls stand just out of range.  Emily will be showing Rooster after dinner tonight.  Rooster is a Charolais breed of cattle originating in France.  Maybe if Emily took a crash course in French, he would behave a bit better.  He is a wild child and is capable of reigning terror in the ring tonight. I think he must have a bit of Brahma bull in him. I will be on the edge of my bleacher seat.

The cousins stopped "mucking" just long enough for Grammy to take a picture. I love the fact that the kids all love each other and support each other not only during Fair, but always. 

Jess's pig Stubbs wasn't doing well yesterday after an antibiotic shot.  I hope he's better today.

The pig competition starts at 8am, so we will be out of the house early today.  We are so thankful that the weather has been cooperating and the days have been very pleasant while we sit for hours in the grandstands.

Here's just one paragraph from the FFA (Future Farmer of America) Creed.

I believe in leadership from ourselves and respect from others. I believe in my own ability to work efficiently and think clearly, with such knowledge and skill as I can secure, and in the ability of progressive agriculturists to serve our own and the public interest in producing and marketing the product of our toil.

My question is, are the kids raising the animals, or are the animals raising the kids?  All of the kids are learning to take care of something other than themselves.  They have to get up early to feed them, clean their pens, and love them.  Both sides of this equation benefit.  My respect goes out to my grandkids and to their parents, my kids, who spend hours in support of their passion.

FFA chapters are all over the United States.  The caliber of these young men and women is above and beyond reproach.

Signed,

One proud Grammy






 

1 comment:

  1. Of course you're proud. What a great job from you, your kids, and then their children. Such joy in these pictures.

    ReplyDelete