Saturday, November 4, 2023

Houston Wrap-Up

Hello Everyone,

This is just a very small sampling of the quilts at Quilt Market.

The workmanship was incredible.


The walkways were spacious.






There weren't any crowds when we walked through the displays.



I was all set up for my School House session.  It's a bit daunting when you see all of the chairs waiting to be filled.  They were far from filled but I had a nice group of shop owners who I really connected with.

One of my favorite booths at QM was Sew Cherished.  Click HERE to see Dawn's online shop. Prior to QM, Dawn called me and ordered patterns for Bridle Path.  We chatted on the phone for quite a while.  When I stopped by her lovely booth and introduced myself, we hugged like old friends.  There are so many of her patterns that I would love to make.  





My fourth and last retreat of the year begins tomorrow.  It's been a mad dash returning home from QM on Wednesday, then preparing for the retreat.  First, I had to fill all of the Etsy orders that poured in while I was gone.  I'm finishing up the last of the orders this morning. I have all of the tutorials printed and I'm all set for the arrival of the quilters.

Wednesday, soon after we arrived at the cabin from our 12-day road trip, we got a call from our oldest son telling us our grandson was in a serious mountain bike accident on the bike trails above Del Valle reservoir in Livermore. He was taken to a trauma center via ambulance.  After careful evaluation and x-rays it was determined that he had a severely broken collarbone that may require surgery, 4 broken ribs, a concussion, and many scrapes and abrasions from the crash.  Luckily, he was with a buddy with a calm demeanor and took control of the situation.  The boys walked out about 1/4 of a mile and flagged down a ranger who took one look at Jess and called an ambulance.  

Jess doesn't remember a thing about the accident.  We talked to him on Thursday, and he told us how much he loved us...he remembers us!  When our son called us, it was so hard not to turn the car around and head back to the Bay Area to be with him.  He assured us that Jess would be fine, but this grandma was worried sick!

Jess turned 16 in September, and we gave him a new bike helmet.  We are so thankful he was wearing it!  It may have been a different story without the helmet.

As it turns out, he didn't need surgery and is now home resting, recovering and considering selling his bike!

Soon,
Lynn





























 

11 comments:

  1. I'm so thankful your grandson wasn't hurt worse! He learned a hard lesson, fortunately he was with a friend. The quilts from market look beautiful, thanks for sharing! Hope you can relax at retreat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very grateful that Jess is going to be okay. Life can turn on a dime! Do you think the group at the retreat will notice if I curl up in a corner and take a nap?

      Delete
    2. I think we would expect you to take a nap on Monday afternoon. You'll be too excited to see us on Sunday to sleep!

      Delete
    3. This made me laugh out loud, Lynn! Yes, you are so right about being excited to see all my girls and there is a going to be one man at the retreat. I guess now we have to behave ourselves.....NOT!

      Delete
  2. Lynn:
    What a whirlwind, both QM and your grandson. I concur, I think a nap is in order... and maybe a long relaxing soak in a hot tub. Looking forward to seeing you soon. Hugs, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could soak in a nice warm tub, but I can only do showers until my legs heal. I'm still working on them. I can't wait to see you and your beautiful daughters tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. Exciting times Yes helmets
    Are important Linda b

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank good Jess is going to be okay!!! Enjoy the retreat this week ... I wish I could be there with you all. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am saying Healing prayers for Jess. It’s so sad to hear about the accident. I’m so grateful he got immediate medical attention.
    Enjoy the retreat. I bet I’ll be able to hear the laughter all the way to Livermore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy smokes.. glad it wasn't any worse than it was! And yes.. helmets save lives! Glad that he's ok.
    I just got back from the National Quilt Museum in Paducah.. I am quite humbled and inspired. Wish I was at the retreat as well! Have fun! Sue W

    ReplyDelete
  7. Btw, I've made quite a few of Dawn's creations in past years. She's always so pleasant to work with and has great patterns! Sue W (again!)

    ReplyDelete