Thursday, December 10, 2009

Baking on Day 15

Hello Everyone,

I'm a bit later with my post today. I've been busy baking for Preview Night down at In Between Stitches tonight. I hope to see some of you there. Here's what I'm bringing to add to the dessert buffet ..... Raspberry Shortbread .....yummers!! Here I go with the butter again. Use the real thing for the best taste. Here's the recipe from the Wilder Family Cookbook.

Raspberry Shortbread

1 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 (10-ounce) jar seedless raspberry or blackberry jam divided
1 ½ cups powdered sugar
3 ½ tablespoons water
½ teaspoon almond extract

-Beat butter and 2/3 cup sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour; beating at low speed until blended.

-Divide dough into 6 equal portions; roll each portion into a 12- x 1-inch strip. Place strips on lightly greased baking sheets.

-Make a ½ inch-wide by ¼ inch-deep indentation down center of strips using the handle of a wooden spoon. Spoon half of jam evenly into indentations.

-Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove from oven; spoon remaining jam into indentations. Bake 5 more minutes or until lightly browned.

-Whisk together powdered sugar, water, add almond extract; drizzle over warm shortbread. Cut each strip diagonally into 1-inch slices. Cool in pans on wire racks.
-Yield: 6 dozen
Source: Southern Living 1999 Annual Recipes

I used both blackberry and raspberry. We almost like the blackberry jam better. I made a double batch so I could keep some for us and pass some on to friends for an early Christmas indulgence. Form your logs first.

Make the indentation in the log with a wooden spoon.

Fill them to the rim with the seedless jam.

Flaky, tasty, pretty....what more can I say other than make a batch to share.


I'll be bringing my two, yes only two blocks from the Party in the Garden BOM that will start in April 2010. I have a few more months to finish. I just put the windows on this block last night. My granddaughter says I still need to add a doorknob.
Don't you wish you could peak inside to see who lives here?


As always,
Lynn







2 comments:

  1. You know I just finished dinner and your lovely recipe sure makes me hungry for something sweet! I've got to give this one a try. Thanks so much for sharing pictures and recipe...<3 <3
    Your lovely memories your setting forth are so beautiful, my family is here and there and it seems things my mother started or carried on from her mother are now getting lost ~ so sad, but I really enjoyed reading your posts especially this one with Santa.. You are such an Angle and your family are so fortunate to have such a sweet YOU! Lucky Family
    Merry Christmas Lynn, I love your house block .. lovely lovely is thing going to be a BOM too? hummm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just discovered your blog. In fact my first time to read a blog...at least that I know of.

    With only reading your page for today... YOU have truly stirred my creative juices!! I am so ready to start a new project. Well, one is planned for tomorrow and You can bet I will be up early to get it going. Good luck to my husband for any more than a fast meal tomorrow evening.

    Thanks for the spark. I will be back to explore your site again very soon.

    Smiles Sarah Lee

    ReplyDelete