Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Extreme Makeover Day

Hello Everyone,
 
I've been working a little bit more on some perfect purple plaidliness pumpkins.  (Say that three times fast!)  Well the pumpkin isn't purple, but the background is.  
 

Five pumpkins done, five more to go. They are all a little cockeyed....but this one is really off.  It's hard to find the perfect pumpkin in my pumpkin patch.


My job today is to transform the great room at the cabin into a classroom for 11 quilters.  The lighted Christmas wreath stays up all year to remind us of the spirit of Christmas, the spirit of giving.


Furniture has to be moved and somehow I have to find a way to arrange four additional tables and eight chairs in this space.  Mr. Joe doesn't know it yet, but his favorite recliner of all time is going to be moved outside on the deck.  I think the bears will enjoy putting their paws up in the evening don't you?


Our goal when we purchased the cabin, was to completely furnish it with garage sale treasures, junk shop finds, consignment shop bargains, and hand-me-downs from my grandmother's and our parent's homes.  It's an eclectic conglomeration of junk stuff that we had so much fun collecting over the years.  I don't mind dusting the same rocking chair my grandmother dusted back in the 1940's & 50's. Pretty soon I'll be hanging quilts from the rafters, the only space left!

The quilters start to arrive tomorrow afternoon into evening, but the majority of them will be here bright and early Friday morning and the quilting will begin in earnest.  The girls are my quilting guinea pigs.  If all of this works out logistically, I'll be offering more retreats in the future so more of you can attend.  If we blow too many fuses when the sewing machines and irons are all going at the same time, I may have to rethink this whole retreat thing or hire an electrician to install heavy duty wiring throughout the whole cabin.  More pictures of the transformation tomorrow.  Wish me luck.

Soon,
Lynn

14 comments:

  1. Your quilting retreat sounds fun! I'm running out of room for my quilts, too; I need some rafters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do I ever wish I was a little mouse in the corner! Please share as much as you can with us...and pretend we are all there. The space for the retreat looks wonderful...I bet your animal friends will hear roars of laughter and glee all weekend. Love your pumpkins, by the way, each and every one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have paid money to stay in lodges that look like your home! Lovely! And the purple pumpkin patch...well I don't like purple but your pumpkins got me thinking that maybe I shouldn't get rid of that small purple stash just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this looks like such a wonderful atmosphere to sew, sew, sew! I wish I was closer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like so much fun.............we put on Retreats at Quilters Paradise, but we are the worker bees, would love to be the attendee someday.......

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful space to have a retreat. The quilters will enjoy it I'm sure. Good luck with moving the furniture and getting set up. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As one of the fortunate "guinea pigs", I can't wait!!
    Thank you for opening your home to us!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. good luck with rearranging the furniture. The cabin looks really cozy and i like all the different furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting with your retreat and the cabin looks fab. All pumpkins are different and I love the wonkier one anyway. Must remember to get people to say the ppp words and then have a giggle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan,
      Wonky is always good. Speaking of which, I'm sure everyone coming to the retreat will be a little wonky by Sunday! Take care,
      Lynn

      Delete
  10. What a lovely and cozy home for a retreat. HAve fun re arranging the furniture , I am sure you will come up with the prefect solution :-)

    LOVE THOSE PUMPKINS !!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cabin looks like a wonderful place to hold retreats. I bet everyone has a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh, this cabin is so beautiful. Makes me want to get away

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wonder if Mr. Joe will be sitting in his chair outside with the bears and a honey pot? He's a good sport ;>) Mr. Squash noticed the light inside right off the bat and said it will be perfect for quilting! Funny - your pumpkins look a lot like some in our patch (wink)!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete