Saturday, June 15, 2013

Patchwork Puzzle Pieces

 
Hello Everyone,
 
If you are wondering where I've been.....I'm back from playing with grand kids and then resting up for my next big adventure.  I'm pulling a Patchwork Component class together.  This class will include formulas and piecing technique for 12 different quilting components so YOU can decide the size of your components and your blocks.
 

I started by pulling some Fall fabrics together.


Then I made one square in a square for the center, four hourglass units, and 4 corner square triangle units.

Then I started arranging and rearranging.





Then I made 8 flying geese and added them to the mix.




Then I made a pinwheel unit to change up the center.


Looking at some of these blocks gave me ideas for more blocks with the addition of other colors.

 
I felt like I was playing with puzzles all day long, turning my patchwork puzzle pieces this way and that way.  I've been looking at my patchwork component idea list and I may have to make it a Baker's Dozen.  My goal for the class is to show easy peasey piecing techniques along with the formulas to calculate all of the components.  I had a couple of ahh-haa moments while I was working yesterday and I came up with a border idea.  One thing just leads to another and I get easily distracted as more and more ideas take shape. 
 
You know how it is when you are working on a puzzle, you have to find just ONE MORE PIECE!  I'll be working on additional pieces today along with the directions.  Soon, I'll be sharing with you where I'm going to be teaching this class....exciting stuff for me!
 
Soon,
Lynn
 


18 comments:

  1. Great concept for a class, and beautiful fabric palette too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phenominal!!! This takes me back thirty-ish years to basic beginning hand piecing classes and books that were about blocks that you could use to inspire your own creativity and original design....a foundation that I often reflect upon and am grateful for as quilting books and patterns have progressed and new quilters don't always have the opportunity to start at the true roots of the art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phenominal!!! This takes me back thirty-ish years to basic beginning hand piecing classes and books that were about blocks that you could use to inspire your own creativity and original design....a foundation that I often reflect upon and am grateful for as quilting books and patterns have progressed and new quilters don't always have the opportunity to start at the true roots of the art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops...Miss NOOK somehow published same comment twice

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing the different views of your blocks. Very pretty! Wish I had time to do this, but I am preparing to sell my home and relocate. I will keep your blog for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is going to be a brilliant class. Pleased to see you weren't slacking while you were quiet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so neat...to design so many blocks with just a few pieces! Bet you did lots of puzzles when you were a little girl. Will look forward to joining your 'blogger' class!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your puzzle blocks, though I usually call it "What If" and keep finding different ways of arranging. Looking forward to seeing what it all becomes and your classes take on it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your puzzle blocks...so mch inspiration there.
    Can't wait to see border ideas, I struggle with borders and sashing.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your puzzle blocks...so mch inspiration there.
    Can't wait to see border ideas, I struggle with borders and sashing.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is what I love so much about quilting! You can come up with so many ideas with just a few simple blocks! I just know you're going to find at least one more piece, Lynn!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE your fabric choices. Gorgeous-just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's so interesting and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just gorgeous blocks ! Love all the fall fabrics you used ! Happy Fathers Day to Mr. Joe

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW! so many ways you can place those pieces to get some really neat blocks.

    ReplyDelete