Sunday, June 15, 2014

Between Puppy Naps

Hello Everyone,
 
Between Mazey's naps, I've been able to finish machine quilting Emilie Elizabeth. I didn't want her sharp, little puppy teeth near the long arm.  Images of shredded batting came to mind.
 

I spent a good eight hours at the machine yesterday finishing this one.  I was determined to get it done so I can start the binding tonight.


When I finished, I poured a glass of wine, put my feet up and fell asleep holding the untouched glass of wine.  I never spilled a drop, even when I woke myself up snoring!  It's a good thing Mr. Joe doesn't do Facebook....that image of me would have been priceless plastered across the Internet.


This pattern is going to be a Block of the Month offered through In Between Stitches.  For more information, click HERE.  I'll personally select all of the fabrics.  The fabrics will not be identical, but the quilt will have the same look and feel.


When I get the binding and hanging sleeve finished, I'll take a picture of the entire quilt. 

 
Here is a picture of the real Emilie Elizabeth.....the kindest, and most wonderful grandmother a child could wish for.  She was a special lady.  I never saw her wear pants, always dresses or house coats.  She never learned how to drive, but boy could she cook up a storm in her wood-burning oven.  She had a little box of kindling by the side of the stove, and kept the heat just right while her lemon meringue pies were baking.  Grandma introduced me to quilting many decades ago on her old treadle sewing machine which now sits in my entryway.  Maybe I should have made Emilie Elizabeth on THAT machine.  What was I thinking!
 


This one is for you Grandma.

Soon,
Lynn

15 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous quilt - superb quilting - and most honorable way to remember your Grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you have a wonderful legacy to Emilie Elizabeth...she would be proud. Awesome quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emilie Elizabeth would be so pleased with your quilt , it is gorgeous !

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely tribute to your grandma. The quilting really is the icing on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love everything about this quilt. Just finished piecing my first medallion quilt-made it up as I progressed-and I absolutely love your basket border! Might just have to sign up for this BOM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quilting around the center block makes this quilt shine. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous quilt and quilting and what a tribute to your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a wonderful tribute to Grandma, Lynn, your words and your beautiful quilt! She would be so proud of you and all of your gorgeous quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure your grandmother is very proud of you, this is a gorgeous tribute to her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just gorgeous!! Great pattern, and your quilting skills are wonderful!! And Emily was one of my favorite names for a child ( my hubby didn't go for it though!!), but we did name our daughter Elizabeth!! :-) Have a great week!! Hugs, H in Healdsburg

    ReplyDelete
  11. Every flimsy you touch turns to gold, Lynn. Grandma would be so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've done your Grandma proud, Lynn! I just wish I could have seen you asleep with wine in hand - too funny!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lynn, that is a beautiful quilt. Thank you for sharing your stories of your Grandma, such wonderful memories for you, and so fantastic to be able to continue on with the skills she taught you. A really lovely post x

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is really fabulous and will be a sweet reminder of her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my, the quilt is just so pretty. I'd love to sign up for the block of the month but it says you have to pick it up. Is there a way to sign up and have it mailed to you?

    ReplyDelete