Saturday, September 12, 2015

Raging Inferno

Hello Everyone,
 
I'm deviating from my normal posts about quilting.  Every year we worry during fire season at the cabin.  This year, fire season is one of the most extreme we've experienced.  The Butte Fire is quickly approaching our area.  Our governor declared a state of emergency yesterday and the National Guard is being sent in to help.  As of last night, the fire doubled in size in one day to 65,000 acres and is only 5% contained.
 

As the crow flies, it is now about 10 miles away from our little Arnold community as indicated by the yellow arrow. Yesterday the fire was growing in all directions between 60-70 feet a minute!  Our 4-year drought is feeding the fire literally tons of dry fuel. 


The area in orange was under mandatory evacuation yesterday.  The area in yellow, my area, is still under advisory evacuation.  To make matters worse, some idiots (and I'd like to use a much stronger word here) are looting.  It's one thing to loose a home to the forces of Mother Nature, another to be plundered by some yahoos (insert language here unbecoming to a lady) taking advantage of the situation. 

 
Many are losing everything they own. Some ranchers in the area are struggling to get their large animals to safety. Luckily for us, the cabin isn't our primary home.....but it's our haven away from city life. It holds family memories of wonderful times together.  Hopefully it will survive this firestorm along with all of the other cabins in our area. 
 



Our firefighters are trying their best to keep everyone safe and are focusing on saving structures.  I am thankful for these brave men and women and I pray for their safety and the safety of those in our mountain community.

I'll keep you posted.  Right now I'm turning my nervous energy to cleaning and preparing for our company.  This house has never been cleaner!!!

Soon,
Lynn



 

25 comments:

  1. My heartfelt prayers are with all and sincerely hope you are not in harms way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend there (in Arnold) and she did have to evacuate yesterday afternoon. She moved there from San Jose and loves it. My thoughts and prayers are with you both hoping that your homes and place of sanctuary will survive. Those firefighters have been busy this year that is for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I've never experienced this type of loss, I understand your fear. My son has been fighting wildfire for 4 years.The drought conditions have made it incredibly dangerous for everyone involved. Prayers for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No force of nature can take away memories made, but it can leave you sad and afraid. We're saying a prayer for Wilders Last Retreat, your neighbors, the community, the wildlife, and the trees, especially those at Big Trees, who have survived and seen so much in their lifetime. Will they let you in to retrieve the guestbook & some of your other precious items?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and the fire fighters are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My thoughts and prayers are with you and for the safety of the fire fighters. This heat wave is certainly not helping. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thoughts and prayers for you and all there. I wish CA would get some rain!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been thinking of you as I watch the fire on the news these last few days. I can not imagine what you are going thru right now :-( We have been getting the smoke from the fire in Grass Valley. Hoping that the fire does not come near your beautiful home Sending very big hugs !

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're hoping for the best for everyone - two and four legged. It's been a devastating year everywhere. Having spent one of the best times of our lives at Wlder's Last Resort, we know how special it is. Sending lots of love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sending prayers, postive thoughts, and virtual hugs to you all. Thank you for the pictures...it is hard to understand the scope of the fire but seeing the pictures of the areas affected makes it so much more real. Thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I checked your blog this morning to see if you posted anything about the Butte fire. My family has a cabin near yours, also not a primary residence, but a retreat for over 40 years now. My Uncle is there now to get the family photos and a few sentimental things, just in case. A neighbor who lives there and has a business was packing up what they could. He wasn't sure that they would let people into the area but said there's no activity there right now.

    We hadn't heard about looting... Unspeakable. Fires have gotten close before. Praying that the area will again be spared and as others have mentioned, that Big Trees stays safe and people and animals are safely evacuated. Blessings to the firefighters for their extraordinary work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This makes my hear sink Lynn. Praying that the fire is contained as quickly as possible without loss to you and your neighbours. As for those looters, I have a few choice words I could use too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Praying your home and the town of Arnold are spared. No one can imagine the horror of a fire until in one. My son lost his home, farm, cabin, etc. to a devastating fire. The farm had been there for almost 100 years. It all happened so fast. Then after the fire came the floods. With nothing on the hills, water becomes a raging torrent. I hope you don't have to experience either. And, my son's friends did lose a lot of cattle. Fire is unbelievable and even the forest animals cannot get away-I have seen too much. Praying for you and all of California.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I forgot to add that you need to make sure all photos and any family memorabilia is out of the cabin. Do not wait. We lost a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh no Lynn, I am so, so sorry to read this! We are socked in here with the smoke from that fire: it's so thick we can only see the outline of Carson City from our spot on the hill and my eyes and throat are feeling it too. I can't imagine the density where you are. Keeping you and yours in my thoughts and prayers! Giant Hug!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG Lynn. I do hope everything is OK. As you say, it's not your main home, but it still means a lot to you both. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a good outcome. Xx

    ReplyDelete

  17. Oh, and I forgot to say just what I think of those looters, but that's perhaps just as well cos the words would not be suitable for your delicate ears.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone threatened and the firefighters who are there to stop it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Praying for the best for you and your community.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thoughts and prayers are with you. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hope you and the cabin will be safe!!! So many wonderful memories of special times at the cabin! I just hope it will be spared! Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  22. My heart and prayers are with you and all the others in harms way.

    ReplyDelete
  23. My heart and prayers are with you and all the others in harms way.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My thoughts and prayers are with you guys - I can not imagine the anxiety you have right now. I saw the fires on the news last night and was really amazed at the strength of them . Sending you hugs - keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ahh.. I feel for you so much. And the cleaning? That's exactly what I do in times like this. Hope it stays waaay away from you.

    ReplyDelete