Thursday, April 27, 2017

Baby Blocks

Hello Everyone,
 
In keeping with my half-square triangle theme from yesterday, I made a block using only HST, but this one is 6". I'll be using this block when I teach my Finessing the Figures class.
 
 
I made all of my HST according to the tutorial on The Quilt Show HERE.  To make 8 HST at a time, I began with 4" squares.  You can also see my tutorial at the top of the page located in the Virtual Classroom.  Each HST is trimmed to 1-1/2", so when it is sewn into the block, it finishes at 1".  You are probably saying, "Holy cow! I can't do that!"  Well, I'm here to tell you that you CAN.  Take your time. Cut accurately, trim accurately, use a perfect 1/4" seam, and press in the direction that I'm showing.
 
THE FORMULA:  Remember, always, ALWAYS begin with the finished size!
 
Finished size times 2", then add 2"
 
(1" x 2" = 2")  then add 2" = 4"
 


First, I sewed the HST together that make the center star.  Yes, I could have made flying geese for the center star, but I wanted this blocks to contain only HST's.


In order to get them to "nest" together, I pressed one HST toward the darker color and one HST toward the lighter color.  The I pressed my seams open.


Front of the section.


Back of the section.  Notice the pressing on the back.  The HST opposite each other diagonally, are pressed in the same direction.  This helps sewing these little guys together.  Then I pressed the seams open to reduce the bulk.


I did the same process for the corners.


You end up with a reasonably lined up block that the quilt police will overlook any minor indiscretions and let slide right in to the quilt.


What's that phrase about looking at a quilt from the distance of 20' from a galloping horse?  Let's hop on our horses (or stick ponies), and start galloping over to your sewing machine today and perfect those little HST's.

Soon,
Lynn


 

5 comments:

  1. It's just gorgeous and love the fussy cutting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous Ma'am, but I'm finding it hard to type while my stick pony is galloping!! ;-) And what are the dates for the Sept retreat (and the cost)? Paul said to go, but I just want to check the dates. Hugs, H

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lynn,
    I am so enjoying playing around with making your squares. I thought I had seen a table runner made with y-squares somewhere on your blog, but I can't find it anywhere. Can you point me in the right direction? mep6758(at)gmail(dot)com. Thanks for all your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete