Monday, January 20, 2020

Changing the Front Porch

Hello Everyone,
 
Yesterday I changed out the quilt on the front porch and put out my Heartfire quilt.
 
 
French General fabrics from Moda, always offer something that I can use for an attractive center hexagon.


I've made this quilt multiple times in different colorways.  My sister Gail worked on this version with me and it hung in the Marcus Fabrics booth at Quilt Market.


I also made one in Fig Tree fabrics.  The pattern looks completely different every time I make it.


Yesterday we were glued to the TV watching football playoff games.  I've enjoyed watching both teams this season, and would have been happy to see either one go to the Super Bowl.  But, my heart was with my California team.

Our neighbors came over and we had an indoor tailgate pot luck party.  Here's one of the things I made and I'm sharing the recipe with you.  This Coffee Orange Fudge Cake is my go-to cake that I can't screw up at high altitude backing.  It is so moist, and so rich, and so popular with guests. 

 
Coffee Orange Fudge Cake
1 pkg. devil’s food cake mix
1 (8 oz) carton sour cream
½ cup salad oil
½ cup water
4 eggs
1 (3 oz.) pkg. instant chocolate fudge pudding mix
¼ cup coffee liqueur
2 tablespoons finely-shredded orange peel
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
12oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
Powdered sugar (optional)
 
©      Grease and flour a 10-inch fluted tube pan.  In a large mixer bowl, combine cake mix, sour cream, oil, water, eggs, pudding mix, liqueur, orange peel and cinnamon.
©      Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until blended, scraping sides of bowl constantly.  Beat on medium speed for 4 minutes. 
©      Stir in chocolate pieces.  Pour into prepared pan. 
©      Bake in a 350° oven for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.  Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes.  Remove from pan and cool on rack.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired. 
©      Makes 12 to 16 servings.  This recipe is a blue-ribbon cake from Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen.  This cake freezes well.  It’s rich and moist.
 
We also made Shrimp on the Barbie which always gets a laugh.  The funniest part was Mr. Joe trying to find a Barbie doll here in our small town.  He found this one at Dollar General, and the cost was considerably more than a dollar.  There were three little girls in line behind him at the check out stand, and all of them wanted the doll.  It's pretty hard to explain that Barbie was going to be part of the table decorations covered in leafy lettuce and shrimp!  I don't know who was more traumatized.  I'd better put this Barbie in a safe place because he is NEVER going to go buy another Barbie by himself!
 
Soon,
Lynn

20 comments:

  1. So much wonderful inspiration in this post. The cake looks delicious. Shrimp on the Barbie is so funny! Love the quilt she is sitting on too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for commenting on my blog, Shasta. Barbie is sitting on my Cute as a Button. Our company was afraid they were going to spill on it, so we moved the food to the kitchen counter. I kept telling them is was washable! --Lynn

      Delete
  2. Heartfire is one hexie quilt I could get into the spirit of making - no Y-seams that I can see from here! There are some French General fabrics just waiting in the closet for the perfect quilt and I think this is it. That chocolate cake recipe sounds wonderful, perfect for our next church potluck. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The folks at your church potluck are going to enjoy the Kahlua in the cake! It is heavenly.

      Delete
  3. I think your company was right, Lynn! Even though it's washable, putting that sauce on your Cute as a Button was more dangerous than Mr. Joe fending off those 3 little girls for the Barbie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your comment made us laugh Paula!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so fun to read your blog and hear about the adventures of Lynn and Mr. Joe. Maybe you should consider publishing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our book would be a comedy of errors Fran! Have a great week and say hi to Martha. --Lynn

      Delete
  6. I must save your cake recipe; it sounds delicious! And shrimp on the Barbie is too funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cake is delicious Cathy. You have to be a true chocolate lover! --Lynn

      Delete
  7. That cake sounds absolutely evil. I think I'll make it for my next quilty get-together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilting group will love the cake Sandy.....and so will you! --Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mr. Joe is quite a character! Lol!

    Took the recipe and will make it for guild next month. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh he's a character for sure! Don't forget to add the Kahlua....the guild members will love it!

      Delete
  10. Yum -- I'm totally doing the cake next week!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will be glad you made it Jeanne. It also freezes well. --Lynn

      Delete
  11. Thank you for the yummy recipe. And changing of the quilts is beautiful. French General is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cake is heavenly and it freezes well too. I also love French General....so classy.
    --Lynn

    ReplyDelete