Thursday, April 2, 2020

Moda Blockheads Block #12

Hello Everyone,
 
I'm back on the Moda Blockhead bandwagon.  This block was introduced by Janet Clare for Moda.  Janet featured several different layouts on her blog.  My block will finish at 8" and I'm only using fabrics by Betsy Chutchian for Moda.
 

I made my components and then started playing.  Instead of making a ton of half-square triangles, I made Flying Geese. This eliminated so many extra seams in the block.  If you click on my Virtual Classroom at the top of my blog, you can see how I make my HST and Flying Geese. 


I make my HST 8-at a time, which is so much easier than making them one at a time.  I make my Flying Geese 4-at a time.  If you want to see videos of how I make these components, you can watch my videos for FREE on The Quilt Show by clicking HERE.  In the videos I go over the formulas so you can make the components any size you want.  My HST finish at 1" x 1".  My Flying Geese finish at 1"x 2".  I made a Square in a Square for the center instead of making 4 HST.  The construction method, and formulas are in my videos or in my Patchwork Math book.

 
I can see an entire quilt made with this block.  The hardest part is deciding what fabric goes where.
 
I was off of the Blockhead bandwagon for a couple of weeks because the blocks were simplistic.  The intricacies of this block intrigued me, and I knew it was a perfect fit with the rest of my blocks. 
 
To get this block together, I started at the top row.  I stitched the solid square to the HST.  Then I pressed before I stitched the other solid block on.....and sew forth.  Stitch, press, stitch, press.  Don't wait until you get the entire row together before pressing. Before I pressed, I used my special pen filled with Best Press, and put starch along the thread line. I pressed with a dry iron.


This is self-isolation day 18 for us.  Thank God our governor implemented this early in California.  I sincerely believe his early, decisive actions have helped contain the virus, and has saved lives in our populous state.  Yes, we have a lot of cases, but it could be so much worse.

I look forward to the day when we can all be together in our quilting groups, laughing and hugging.  That day will come, we just need to be vigilant now, and stay put in our homes!

Soon,
Lynn

6 comments:

  1. I wish our governor would do the same - Arkansas is one of the few states left that has not done a "lockdown" or whatever one calls it. Our numbers are not rising fast but they are increasing little by little.
    I just love that block you have shown today so much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think self-isolation should be a nationwide mandate. It's the only way we can get through this a little quicker.....if that is even possible.

      Delete
  2. This would make a nice medallion quilt start block if pieced larger. We in our rural NY counties went into early lock down as well - thank you county officials for the foresight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about the medallion quilt, Sharon. I don't understand why we don't have a nationwide lock down. This virus is going to drag on forever if we don't stay home. Stay safe.

      Delete