Thursday, June 22, 2023

NYC Day 3

 Hello Everyone,

The travelogue continues for day three of my trip to NYC.  


Gail and I put on our walking shoes and headed from the hotel for our walk down Broadway to the Battery to meet our tour guide in front of Castle Clinton.


Along our way we passed the famous Trinity Church.  

We also passed the Bull by Wall Street.

Then we boarded the ferry for a short ride to the Statue of Liberty.


The Manhattan skyline is quite impressive along with the fluffy white clouds.



This picture speaks volumes to me.

This lovely quilt is hanging in the museum on the island.


Another short ferry ride took us over to Ellis Island.


Millions of immigrants were processed through this facility.  I wish I'd taken a picture of the many, many radiators lining the walls of this building.  I can just picture the tired, hungry and poor huddled around the radiators after they long voyage.


We sat for a moment at a picnic table while our guide gave us a short history of the island.  This is one of my favorite pictures which I took on our trip.  This statue was so touching.


The Manhattan skyline from the island.


After our very impressive and informative day, we walked backed to the hotel after a stop at Starbucks for a Frappuccino, changed our clothes and headed to the restaurant to have dinner with the VIPs from Marcus Fabrics, Pati and Kristin.  From left to right we have Carrie and Katie, the dynamic mother daughter duo from Pieceful Gathering Quilt Shop. Pati and Kristin. Then yours truly and Dolores Smith from Timeworn Toolbox, the designer of the Front Porch fabric I showcased yesterday. 


What an inspirational day we had while logging over 20,000 steps!  Our day was filled with a huge dose of patriotism and history.  

Prior to our trip, my friend suggested I read the novel New York by Edward Rutherfurd.  It is a fascinating book about the history of New York beginning with the arrival of the Dutch.  Some of the things we saw such as Trinity Church are mentioned in the book.  It's a long and enjoyable read. 

After reliving all of our activities last week, I now realize why I'm dragging my feet and feeling so tired this week! Maybe it has something to do with those 33 miles we walked!

Soon,
Lynn













6 comments:

  1. Do they still allow people to climb the Statue of Liberty? I remember climbing so many steps. We could not go up to the arm but only to the crown

    ReplyDelete
  2. They still allow people to climb up to the crown, but their reservations are filled to August. I'm not sure if I would enjoy the confinement of the staircase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks as though you couldn't have had a better trip, Lynn! Gail did such a fantastic job planning your activities! My Lithuanian grandmother was one of those tired, poor and hungry souls passing through Ellis Island all by herself in 1905. She had quite the story to tell about her stolen luggage and traveling by train alone to her sister's home in Seattle. When I was there I felt as though I was standing in her shoes - yes, the emotions run high! Hugs, Candace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew that Candace. Joe is half Lithuanian too.

      Delete
  4. Wow...maybe we're related 😉

    ReplyDelete