Saturday, March 2, 2024

Growing Pains

 Hello Everyone,

I recently realized that I hadn't posted my Autumn Thyme table topper in my Etsy shop.  


The topper is a combination of cotton and wool applique. 


I LOVE the slow process of applique and I love combining cotton and wool together.

It's so relaxing to add more detail to each of the elements in the table topper.


I'm using my Hearthstone fabric line in this pattern along with Lanacot wool and Lanacot Textures by Marcus Fabrics.




The table runner measures 10" x 38".  I loved having it on display last Autumn on my table.   It just makes me smile!  I also love the plaid flange and binding which really sets it off.


Sew'n Wild Oaks has been experiencing some growing pains.  I found I was spending a great deal of time filing Etsy orders which gave me less time to design quilts and fabric.  I saw a post on FaceBook which really made me stop, think, then act. 

We do not have mail service at the cabin, which means we have to go to our little local post office to mail my Etsy orders and pick up our mail at our post office box.  The staff at our little post office is absolutely wonderful.  They know your name; they have memorized your post office box number, and they are so friendly.  For the past six years, Sam (Samantha) has waited on us at the counter.  She had a baby recently and we've missed her friendly face.  Sam posted on FB that she was looking for work from home.  A giant bell went off in my brain and I thought who better to fill my Etsy orders than someone who has worked at the post office for ten years?  It was work that could be done from home, she's local so I could keep her supplied with patterns, envelopes, and mailing labels.  Sam will process the orders and take them to the post office three days a week.  She is also working on a database for me, as I'm also working out the details with Constant Comment to send email blasts.  

Sam is now filling the majority of my orders with little Anderson by her side.  They have become part of the Sew'n Wild Oaks quilting family.  So, it's up to you to keep Sam busy!  I'll be working on marketing, and she will be filing the majority of the orders.  It's a win-win for both of us.


Now I can focus more on designing fabric and patterns.  I feel FREE and I've been so productive in the past two weeks.  I'm quilting and designing up a storm! 

My sister has been tasked to pattern testing and I mailed her a box of fabric and directions this week.  So, she's been busy reviewing a pattern while testing it out.  With my new fabric lines coming down the pike, she is going to be very busy! 

I had a ZOOM call with the wonderful women at Marcus Fabrics on Thursday.  The graphic artist is working on two lines for me along with a line of wool.  Each of the lines require a new pattern or two.  I will also be offering a FREE pattern with each of the lines.  See why my sister is going to be busy?  It is all sew exciting!

Speaking of storms, my little town has been under a Blizzard Warning for days. My phone kept dinging a blizzard warning hourly prior and during the blizzard.  It started snowing early this morning and should continue for a couple of days.  Prior to that, we had buckets of rain and hail which was accompanied by wind.  It is supposed to snow all day long, into the evening and beyond.  Our shovels and snowblower are at the ready.  We have a fridge and freezer full of food, a generator in case the power goes out, and we are fully stocked with wine......the essentials to get us through the blizzard in relative comfort.  We moved a lot of firewood to the front porch......so bring it on Mother Nature!  If you don't hear from me for a few days, that means we have no Internet......one of the downfalls of mountain life. On second thought, maybe not.  

I have a lot of applique blocks ready to be stitched, so I'll be working by the fire.  Sigh....it's all good. 

Soon,
Lynn












12 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you Lynn. Your new employee sounds perfect. Good news for all. Can’t wait to see your new fabric and designs . Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam is the perfect person to fill the orders and work on the database!

    ReplyDelete

  3. What a great solution for you and for Sam! Until I helped fill orders once I had no real appreciation of what it takes to have a successful Etsy shop! Can't wait to see what you're up to!!! Love & Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been up to a lot lately! Running a successful Etsy business takes a lot of my time, but it is worth the effort.

      Delete
  4. Enjoy the snow and be safe. I live outside Boston . You are getting all the snow we haven’t had this winter. I miss it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't had as much this year as we did last year. It is pretty until you have to drive in it!

      Delete
  5. Wonderful to read of your upcoming products. You are so creative! Miss your wonderful smile.. stay well, warm, and safe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! Yes, we are staying warm, especially when we are out shoveling.

      Delete
  6. I've been wondering if you are being hit by these storms. You and Mr. Joe seem to prepare as best you can and then do just fine. Hope that continues. I'm out in a t-shirt today pulling weeds and trimming scraggly things from my knockout roses. I sure hope winter doesn't decide to come back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I envy you being outside in a t-shirt. We would quickly freeze to death!

      Delete
  7. I'm gobsmacked with joy, Lynn! A line of wool! I couldn't be happier - but the everything that comes from your marvelous quilty brain makes me happy! What is Mr. Joe going to do now that Sam has taken over your Etsy ordering? I'm sure he won't miss the paper cuts, but he needs a new project - and Mazey needs a new cooky stop! Lot of love, Candace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fill all of the orders from quilters who have purchased before so I can add a personal note and quilting mailing labels. Mr. Joe is still busy stuffing and going to the post office.....just not as often.

      Delete