Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Little Baskets


Hello Everyone,

I've gathered lots and lots of Civil War fabrics together and started making little 5" basket blocks for the newest design.



I've been playing around with fabric and trying to decide on the fabric for the setting triangles.....the blue won over a brown.


I design by the seat of my pants.  I have a basic idea and sketch, but I change it completely by the time the quilt reaches the final stage.


It's a dynamic process.....always in the state of change before it gets to a state of grace. 


When I design, I toss blocks and fabric up on the design wall and literally see what "sticks".  If I don't like what I see, I put the blocks away, and they may appear in a different design.  These little baskets could be a stand alone quilt.....and that just might happen! 


This medallion quilt is going to have several rows between the center and the baskets blocks.  I somehow got ahead of myself.  I just knew I wanted to have the little 5" blocks in this quilt.  It still remains to be seen just where their final resting spot is going to be.

I'm off to the shop this morning to teach Scrappy Leaves by Ilene Bartos.  This quilt is easier than it looks but it is fabric intensive.  I used over 120 different batiks.  If this quilt doesn't get you in the fall spirit, nothing will! 


Enjoy your day.  Make some leaves, rake some leaves, or jump in a pile of leaves.  Be a kid again.

Soon,

Lynn
P.S. Way to go Giants! 

8 comments:

  1. Oh great! Blue is my favorite! Those blocks are awesome!

    Cheery wave from
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my these baskets are very, very cute. I've never met a basket quilt I didn't like. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the baskets.....can't wait to see the finished project.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm likin' it! The prints bring to mind a couple of cute stripes I picked up when we visited In Between Stitches last month! Imagine That!!!
    With any luck the forcasted snow will wait til tomorrow so I can kick through the leaves once more this evening on my way to the mailbox.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the blue and I LOVE Civil War fabric ! Awesome !

    Go Giants !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just came in from raking leaves to see your wonderful basket blocks, Lynn! I recognize a lot of those fabrics from my stash! How I love to see what the possibilities are for it! This really is going to be an extraordinary quilt!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lynn, those "little" baskets are very cute. My goodness, what else is in store for this quilt? Right now it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the baskets....great choice to use blue for the backgrounds. The leaf quilt is a stunner!

    ReplyDelete