Saturday, September 2, 2023

Sew'n Wild Oaks Retreat Day 3

 Hello Everyone,

I haven't been good about posting pictures from the retreat, so I'm going to get caught up over the next few days and explain my reason for being very quiet online.  The rain stopped Monday night and Tuesday was a gorgeous day here at Snowflake Lodge in Arnold, CA.  My sister Gail took all of the pictures in this post....this one is my absolute favorite!


Some of the girls took a stroll around the lake.

The storm clouds were still ominous, but it didn't rain.

In the morning session, we had a 'hair raising' experience.  We complimented Diana on her cute hairstyle and before we knew it, she ripped off her hairpiece and sent us into hysterics! You can see her holding her hairpiece up in the air. This group of girls were really entertaining!


Chef Zach is a gem and came out of the kitchen during breakfast to a round of applause.


The room was full of activity, laughter and yes, a bit of quilting was going on.


It was warm enough to have appetizers and dinner outside on the deck.

My only rule at the retreat is that you have to sit next to someone you don't know during meals.  

That rule lasts about a nanosecond because it didn't take long for everyone to get to know each other, and new friendship blossomed.


Now, about my silence over the past few days.

About a week prior to the retreat, I got two bug bites on my legs.  It was as though I crossed my legs at my ankles, and something bit me on both sides right above my ankles. Think of a Rorschach Test with a mirror image on both legs. I really didn't think too much about it until the Saturday night prior to the retreat when the bites were looking pretty angry.

I did okay on Sunday, but Monday was a different story.  Luckily for me, there were three nurses attending the retreat.  By Tuesday morning they insisted I go to the emergency room, as the swelling, the bites, and the bruising was quite extensive........and I was in pain!  I couldn't stand to have anything touch my legs.  I couldn't have a sheet or blanket over me at night. 

After our 'hair raising' class, I left to get to the nearest Kaiser emergency room, which was two hours away, and my sister Gail stepped in for me.  I knew I was leaving the girls in competent hands.

To make a long story short, it pays to be elderly with an obvious issue when the ER is absolutely filled to the brim, and they whisked me right in to see the doctor.  I donated 10 vials of blood and had x-rays to make sure the infection had not spread to the bone.  I would post a picture of my legs, but it was pretty awful.  I honestly thought I had a flesh-eating disease.....and so did Mr. Joe.

Loaded with two different anti-biotics, I left the ER feeling that everything was going to be fine and under control.  Wrong!  I returned to the retreat and was there in body but not mind, on Wednesday and Thursday.  My spirit was elsewhere as I just didn't feel good, all the while trying to be stoic.  

By the weekend, I could tell the antibiotics just weren't working.  The infection was getting worse by the day, so I went to Urgent Care in Dublin, CA on Tuesday then ended up in the Emergency Room in Walnut Creek by Tuesday night when I was admitted to the hospital where I spent a very sleepless night donating more blood and was constantly awakened by the blood pressure monitor and doctors and nurses all night long.  At 5am I was moved to a private room upstairs.  

I had three physicians and one dermatologist hovering in and out of my room.  The dermatologist took one look at me and said she thought the bites were venomous, and that's why the antibiotics weren't working.   Change of course in my treatment and all antibiotics were stopped, new medication issued, and soon I felt so much better!  The dermatologist took five biopsies and sent some of them off to UC Davis, and the rest of the biopsies stayed in-house. I will get the results on Tuesday when I have a follow up appointment.  

I was released Wednesday afternoon and was able to return home.  At this writing, I have to say I feel so much better!  I'm not up to full speed just yet, but I will be soon.  I actually quilted yesterday and being able to do that was amazingly wonderful for my soul.

Many thanks to the nurses at the retreat who made me leave the retreat and seek treatment.  Many thanks to Gail for stepping in and taking over.  Many thanks to the caring and compassionate quilters at the retreat who were so concerned about my health.  Many thanks to the staff and doctors at the hospital who made my stay as pleasant as it could possibly be and figured out the mystery of these bites.

Do I know what bit me?  No.  Will I ever know what bit me? Probably not. Do I care that I will have some pretty amazing scares on my legs? No.  At least I still have legs.  All I care about is that I'm feeling better and able to get back to a modified schedule. Naps are a good thing!

Soon,
Lynn





20 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your problems!! And so happy you got taken care of! I had a wonderful time at retreat and miss everyone already. Will see you in November!
    Barb Youngblood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara. I will be perky for the November retreat!

      Delete
  2. Lynn, I’m so sorry you have been dealing with this painful & scary situation. And so relieved that the right person was in the room to diagnose the problem. I hope you continue to heal & improve. We miss you at Quilters, hope to see you soon. I loved my first time at one of your famous retreats, and hope to come back next year. Hugs, Diane (Mitchell)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Diane. Yes, it was scary. I'm not out of the woods just yet, but I can see my way out of the forest. I love the phrase 'famous retreats'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're so glad your "out of the woods", Lynn! You gave us all a scare! I just want to say, this was not my "usual" month to attend the retreat, as you know, Lynn, and honestly was feeling a bit apprehensive about meeting so many new people. After 10 minutes, I felt like I had known everyone for a very long time! Quilters are the best....laughter, compassion, knowledge and wonderful conversation! There were even some "small world" experiences. Take care, dear friend, until next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love watching the interaction of the quilters at my retreats. It truly is heartwarming. I'm glad you made it home safely.

      Delete
  5. I continue to say “Heal”ing prayers for you. What an unfortunate and scary experience! I loved being at the retreat. What a wonderful group of talented, fun, caring and helpful quilters!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you are so witty Madeleine Heal! I'll take your 'heal'ing prayers any day!

      Delete
  6. Dear Lynn, You have been through so much and kept your beautiful smile and attitude the whole time. We knew how horrible the bites looked and were all relieved to have you seek treatment. Gail did a wonderful job filling in. I am glad you got further treatment and appear to be on the right path of treatment now. Behave yourself😉
    I am still in awe of the amazing group of quilters at this retreat. Everyone was friendly, kind, generous, helpful and that made the retreat one of the best I have ever attended.
    Can’t wait to come back💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Behave myself....no way! I am always in awe of my retreat 'girls'. Each and every group is so kind. I know that being with everyone made me feel better. Thank you so much for your comment.

      Delete
  7. Glad to hear you are feeling better 💐

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie. I really enjoyed getting to know you more.

      Delete
  8. Glad you're feeling better. Very strange story. ER rooms are not exactly "retreat" but at least you're on the mend now. So happy to hear that you've started quilting again too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just being able to get back to my quilting is the best medicine. But it is hard to quilt and keep my legs elevated at the same time. Now isn't that an image?

      Delete
  9. Well Lynn... this retreat will certainly go down in our book of memories as one filled with genuine friendship and concern for your welfare and recovery from a group of amazing & creative quilters. On the day you were gone you were never far from our work and conversation... So relieved that you are on this side of most of it and able to be back to quilting!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paula, for encouraging me to seek medical treatment. It's a good thing you were insistent.

      Delete
  10. I relieved my hospital stays with your comments about your experience. I have had the same treatment from Kaiser as an elderly sister citizen I have had very good treatment in emergency and in full care I’m glad your story ended with you still being able to stand on both legs, my experience has been, one that I have finally been able to except. I miss the retreats and you very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Fran.....I've thought about you while I've been going through this process of pain and healing. I hope you are doing well. I miss you too. Hugs with love, Lynn

      Delete
  11. Oh, my, Lynn!!! Just reading this a week after the fact. Please take good care of yourself, allow yourself good rest and let these wounds heal. Yikes! Glad you had three nurses at the retreat to get you to go in to be evaluated! Thinking only the best💞

    ReplyDelete