Friday, November 22, 2013

A Softer, Gentler Heartfire

Hello Everyone,
 
I was playing around with the Midwinter Reds and decided to make some lighter Heartfire blocks without using the strong reds.  I thought I would make just one..............

 

....and then another one....





Six blocks later, I finally stopped! 

 
I incorporated the new blocks on the design wall, and instantly liked the new additions.  I like the bolder, red blocks, but I love the softer blocks as shown here in the latest arrangement.  I think the softer blocks make the quilt more interesting.  My eye tends to travel around the quilt looking at the variation of colors.
 

New version with lighter blocks incorporated
 Here's the older, bolder arrangement.
Older version
Only seven more blocks to make, and they are going to be "softer" blocks, then I can start putting this one together.  Check out Quilt Sue's version of Heartfire HERE.  Sue is adding special touches to her version of Heartfire to commemorate her visit with me in California.  I never thought I'd see the day when Sue embraced applique...or a-PLEE-kay as Sue pronounces it.  When are you and Nancy coming back so we can a-PLEE-kay together and frighten all of the animals in the forest with our laughter?
 
Soon,
Lynn

18 comments:

  1. Perhaps the better question is...has the ringing in your ears subsided? Already??? I would love to relive that trip...with more time spent stitching together...through more tears of laughter! I LOVE the neutral blocks....you're so right about the movement and the calming effect by allowing the eye a place to rest...whoda thunk both effects could coexist in one quilt? But there it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if Sue is gonna try this lighter version. You two seem to have a friendly competition going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue already has some of the paler blocks! Seems like great minds think alike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This hexagons are so beautiful.
    Greetings Grit

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how it softens the quilt...beautiful addition for sure!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just gorgeous. You have such vision.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the new blocks.....they look great with the reds.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Lynn,
    some times experiments just add even nicer expressions to it, don't they? I like the softer colour very much in company with the red once. Gives it more shades of live, I think.
    It will become a very nice quilt I bet.
    Happy stitching , Doris

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the more neutral blocks with the bold it kind if makes your eye wander all over.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my...those new blocks are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh those blocks do speak to me, Lynn! I was just looking at some neutrals sitting front and center in my cupboard yesterday - now I KNOW what to do with them!!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Low volume"--traditional style!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely blocks , the lighter version adds interest .

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilt blocks are gorgeous, I love your fabric choices, too. Your work is simply wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the low volume softer blocks. The combo of the 2 is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the low volume softer blocks. The combo of the 2 is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I so agree. I love the addition of the lighter blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's always fun to check in and see the results of your "experiments". Each of your quilt designs is a living thing from beginning to end...

    ReplyDelete