Monday, May 29, 2017

Remembrance Day

Hello Everyone,
 
This is Memorial Day, but I prefer Remembrance Day.  It doesn't sound quite as sad to me.  When I hear the word Memorial, I always think of funerals.  I don't want to think about funerals.  I want to remember and reflect about the valiant men and women who gave their lives for our freedom. 
 
I've spent a lot of time remembering over the past few days while writing the pattern directions for Zinnie's Choice.  This quilt is named after our Golden Retriever, Zinnie.
 

 
I was making this quilt when Zinnie passed away very suddenly at the age of 5.  That was three years ago at this time......Memorial weekend.....Remembrance Day.  This is the only quilt that Zinnie touched when it was laying on the floor.  She walked around all of the other quilts, but she would curl right up on this one.  Here is a picture of Zinnie at her favorite Elephant Lake.  We won't be going there this year as there is probably 8 feet of snow and the dirt road into it is impassable.  

 
While I've been writing the pattern directions, I've been remembering Zinnie.  It has taken me three years to even think about writing the directions for this quilt.  I guess I'm just to emotionally attached to this quilt. 
 

 
Since we've never been without a dog our entire marriage, we soon welcomed Mazey into the family.  She's a loveable holy terror!  She walks over all of the quilts and steals quilt blocks every opportunity she can!  She used to be such a little puff ball of fur.
 

 
This quilt is made up of components from my Patchwork Math book.  There are only 7 different quilting components in the entire quilt.  Flying Geese, Double Flying Geese, Parallel Geese, Half-Square Triangles, Y-squares, Square in a Square, and HST in a Triangle.
  

You will become an expert and master the components while making the quilt.


The new Ann's Arbor fabric from Minick and Simpson for Moda would work perfectly in this quilt. It will be available in August.  It has just the right mix or red, white, blue and yellow.



My friend Jeanne is proofreading the pattern right now.  This pattern will be hot off the press and ready for the Wine Country Quilt Show next weekend in Santa Rosa.  I'll be teaching this quilt at In Between Stitches on July 12th.

 
Have a good and safe Remembrance Day. Don't ever forget.
 
Soon,
Lynn 
 

8 comments:

  1. We'll never forget...even hearts that have healed still shed a tear...
    I knew that someday, the time would finally feel right to share this namesake quilt, you would.
    Love to you, Joe, Zinnie-Angel and beautiful quilt terror, Mazey, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post, Lynn. Your words, your memories of Zinnie, your quilt itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right about remembrance of all that have gave their lives for our freedom and remembrance of all loved ones that are gone from us whether human or not. I love this quilt and can't wait to take a crack at making it. I am so glad you have wrote the pattern in remembrance of your lovely dog Zinnie! thank you and take care from Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet remembrance of your sweet dog! So interesting that that is the only one she would sit on: makes you wonder why! And I'll see you in Santa Rosa: I'll be looking for that pattern! :-) Hugs, H

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt and tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there. Just a question on your quilt pattern... when flags are hung the way the image appears in your last picture (i.e. with the long side vertical), isn't the blue field with the stars hung to the top left?
    Thanks for your quilt math book and videos. They are excellent (and very needed, in my case).
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are correct JB. I originally planned to hang this quilt horizontally. I will make a note in the pattern that if it is going to be hung vertically, the blue field of stars needs to be on the top left. Thank you so much for pointing this out.
    I'm so glad you like the videos.
    Take care,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely quilt to remember Zinnia with. These pups sure make a place in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete