Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Quilting and Baking

Hello Everyone,

Self isolation - day 3.....the quilting and baking continues.  If you've been following my blog, you know that I'm participating in Moda's Blockhead 3 program.  Here is my version of Block #9.


Last week I made Block #9 as an 8" block, and I wasn't overly happy with it.  You know me, I LOVE intricate blocks and the block below was nice, but not interesting.  So I made four - 4" blocks, changed the center, and I'm much happier now that I re-made the block.  I posted it on Moda's FB page and got a little push back from quilters who thought I changed it too much.  Well, the way I look at it, this is going to be my quilt, and I can change it, and make it anyway that I'd like.  I like to post on Moda's FB page to show quilters alternative ideas by thinking outside the box.  The new block posted today on the Moda site is also very easy.....it is just begging me to change it to my style.


I also did the same with Block #2.  I made four - 4" blocks and stitched them together.


Now on the bread front.  Here is a comparison of loaf #1 and the loaf Mr. Joe made yesterday.  We no longer are in hockey puck status.  This gorgeous, and tasty loaf of sourdough bread took two days to make.  He mixed up part of the ingredients Monday night and put it in the refrigerator.  He proceeded with the rest of the process throughout the day.


This was our dessert last night around 8pm.  The loaf was ready for dinner, but you have to let it sit for two hours before you can cut into it.  What a process!  It sure kept him busy all day.  AND the smoke alarm when off again when he heated the cast iron pan up to 500 degrees.  Our smoke detectors are hard-wired.  It's not like we can remove the battery, we have to listen to the annoying, loud shrieking until the smoke dissipates.  It was 32 degrees yesterday, so it's not like we can open the doors to air out the cabin. 


Making sourdough bread is more like a scientific experiment.  While all of the grandkids are out of school, we should have them put on their chemistry hats, measure everything in grams, and have the water and air temperatures just right, and attempt to make a loaf.  I will never look at sourdough bread in the same way.

Gee, I wonder what Mr. Joe is going to make today?

Soon,
Lynn

21 comments:

  1. I really like your large modified Blocks 9 & 2 Lynn. The smaller blocks can be used in so many ways. And, Mr. Joe...the smaller "test" loaf experience led you to that beautiful larger loaf!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula. The second loaf of bread was wonderful!

      Delete
  2. I need to ask my neighbor for some starter as she makes wonderful sourdough! I hear you about the hardwired detectors. We had those in one house, they malfunctioned one night, good thing Hubster is an electric engineer, he had to unwired them so we could get back to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Chris. The sourdough starter also makes wonderful pancakes!

      Delete
  3. My next door neighbors own Baker and Cook in Sonoma and I get my yummy sour dough from them. Very handy for at home delivery. BTW to Joe, you and my Dad would have been good buddies - bread baking was his hobby - all kinds and mostly all good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you Fran! You can't beat home delivery too.

      Delete
  4. Great idea to bake sourdough bread...I know I have a recipe somewhere and I heard that the local shops have run out of bread...but not going to check!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went grocery shopping this morning, and the bread aisle was non-existent. All of the flour was gone too. Scary times.

      Delete
  5. really, you got push back? Not nice!! I always like to see what new ways people interpret blocks. Keep up the good work!!! and tell Joe congrats on a great looking loaf!!! Take care! Hugs, H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I got pushback. I haven't followed a pattern exactly as written for years. It's fun to put your own spin on block.

      Delete
  6. I like your block 9 better than the original, can't wait to see what you do with #10. I wasn't real happy about that one either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting Gretchen. I really like intricate blocks. I'll see what I can do with Block #10 to maintain the integrity of the original. I need to put my own spin on those pinwheels!

      Delete
    2. I too saw the pushback you received. That's sad....But...I so look forward to seeing what you do with the blocks, or your replacement blocks. I love the challenge you create for me with your interpretation. So from me...thank you!

      Delete
    3. Thank you! I really appreciate your kind words. Maybe I'll clear the decks and make my version of Block #10 tomorrow.

      Delete
  7. I know you're supposed to leave it because it continues to bake but I can never wait till the bread cools--that's when it's yummiest!! I made my own starter a couple years ago and it's still going strong! I'm no expert but this guy has a fantastic, super-easy recipe that we love and it has never failed me: https://steves-kitchen.com/sourdough-baguettes/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that link Cheree. The baguette recipe looks so much easier than some of the ones we've looked at. Stay safe.

      Delete
  8. Oh, that second loaf looks LOVELY! And I like your new take on the block!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new loaf tasted so good! The cabin was filled with the wonderful aroma of bread baking. YUM!

      Delete