Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Snow Day

Hello Everyone,
 
Self isolation - day 2.....the quilting continues.  I put flanges on my blocks.  I couldn't resist taking a picture of some of the blocks on the deck railing. 
 


We had about a foot of snow just on the railing by Monday morning, and it snowed for most of the day.



The snow started in earnest on Sunday.  This picture was taken from my front porch looking up to the back of the garage.  My job is to shovel a pathway up to the garage, while Mr. Joe hauls out the snowblower and clears the driveway.  This storm was not for sissies.


The plows came out mid-afternoon Sunday, and gave us a one-lane road. We could get out, but where were we going to go?


This is a picture looking over the snow berm, down at the cabin and into my sewing room.  I have a nice view of the propane tank outside my sewing room window.


The flowering plum is freezing to death.


This is the back of the cabin.  As you can see, there are no lights on since the power was out. It's been pretty erratic over the past few days.  We have a lot more snow now, I just can't navigate down to this area without getting a boot-full of snow, to get a picture.


Another one of my jobs is clearing the steps so we can get down to the generator.  I have my work cut out for me. 


Mazey loves playing in the snow.  She's just like a little kid when she stands at the back door, begging to go out and play.


During this time of isolation, Mr. Joe has decided he's going to learn to make sourdough bread.  His loaf was about the size and consistency of a hockey puck. We almost had to bring in the chain saw to cut a slice. He learned that he can't use the smoke alarm as the oven timer.
 
As I was gnawing away, (I mean politely chewing), I told him that I think he just made hardtack.  I looked up hardtack and here's the definition.  Hardtack is inexpensive and long-lasting. It is used for sustenance in the absence of perishable foods, commonly during long sea voyages, land migrations, and military campaigns. So, if our little grocery store runs out of food, we will have our hardtack....and potentially no teeth left.
 
He's going to make another loaf (and I use that term loosely) today.  Details and pictures tomorrow. 
 

Soon,
Lynn

10 comments:

  1. you provided my morning laugh! I'm just picturing Joe's hockey pucks :) he might want to leave the bread baking to you? that is a lot of snow and here I complain of the rain and wish for sunny days - love the quilt blocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got a good laugh out of his hockey puck. I can't wait to see what he makes today.

      Delete
  2. Too funny! I love watching old westerns and they always seem to have plenty of hard tack. We are pretty lucky in our small neighborhood. Our local grocery has plenty for everyone and has put up signs thanking their patrons for only buying what they need and leaving enough for their neighbors. Stay safe and warm and quilt on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will venture out to our store tomorrow. I think our community will be as considerate as your community.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Mr. Joe is so happy that we have so much fun at his expense! We all need a good laugh. Thank you for commenting Barbara.

      Delete
  4. What I wish is that I could be transported down those snowy stairs and take over the guest room even if for just one night. You two and Mazey always make the best of things. Please keep sharing the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Fran! I wish you could too. We could roll you up like a snowball, and roll you down the hill to the cabin. I could put you to work making blocks. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel for Joe!!!
    One of my nursing school classmates used to make small loaves of bread for communion at our nursing school chapel. She was going to be out of town one weekend so she "taught" me how to make it. When the chaplain TRIED to break my bread, we realized that I had made a 5" hockey puck. The poor priest managed to break off about 10 very small, crunchy pieces. (I think the communicants drank a little extra wine too as there was much less left in the chalice than usual.) No one said a word to me though I was mortified!! Needless to say, Sue promised to make the communion bread before she left town again. We all breathed a sigh of relief...especially me!
    Hang in there Joe...This too shall pass!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've heard this story before Paula. Now you won't be making bread or coffee for the retreat! Insert laughing, smiley face.

      Delete