Friday, December 8, 2023

Month #4 Bridle Path Tutorial

 Hello Everyone,

I've been doing a bit of fighting with Google Docs and I think I finally made this document accessible on that platform, so you can easily print out this tutorial.  Click HERE to access the tutorial.


First of all, on Page 10 of your pattern, change the size of the plaid Piece B to 7-1/2" x 7-1/2".  The 6-1/4" x 6-1/4" will work, but you will not be able to line up your plaids as well.

Now, begin cutting your parts and pieces out for the interior of the blocks on page 11.  The pieces are shown below.  Using an Omnigrid or Fons and Porter 1/4" ruler, mark the stitching line on each of the lighter fabrics. You will be making HST with these pieces.


Stitch directly on the line, or just inside the line toward the center if your components tend to run too small.

You will now have (4) HST which look like this.  Press toward the dark fabric. No need to trim just yet.


Place a light/black HST on top of a blue/black HST.  The seams will butt up to each other.


I like to use a 1/4" and mark on each side of the ruler using a fine point Frixion pen.  Stitch directly on the lines.

Twirl the seams to reduce bulk.



Trim the required measurement at the top of page 32.  


The back of the block will look like this after you stitch the rows together.



I'm finding that I'm pressing more and more of my seams OPEN to reduce the bulk.  


The unfinished block measurement is on page 32.


Now I'm going to talk about cutting and adding the plaid triangles around the block.

The 6-1/4" x 6-1/4" will work as stated on Page 10 of your directions.  But your block will look more like the picture below.  Some quilters don't care if the plaids aren't matching, and that's fine.


If you want your plaids to match, cut a plaid square 7-1/2" x 7-1/2".  Follow my directions below, and the block will like more like this picture.

Working with a 7-1/2" x 7-1/2" plaid square, align the 45 degree line on your ruler to a line in the middle of the fabric square.


Now you are going to have to do some trimming around the square to get it to the 6-1/4" x 6-1/4".  Your ruler will be a little wonky on top of the square because the plaid wasn't printed at an exact 45 degree angle.  This is why I cut each of my squares one at a time.


Trim the square to 6-14/" x 6-1/4".  

Cut in like this and place them around the complete block as shown on page 11 of your pattern.



Stitch two opposite sides on, press toward the plaid.  Then sew on the other two sides.


Trim to the measurement on page 11 of your pattern.


For the red, follow the directions on page 10 of your pattern.  Cut the red square diagonally only ONCE.

I'm sure you will find that these blocks are a lot easier than the star blocks.  Be creative with the colors you use in the inside of the block.  If you don't like a combination that I suggested, then create your own.

If you ever have any questions, I'm just an email away.

Soon,
Lynn    











































2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I was able to open the doc and all pages printed out with no problem!! Thanks Lynn... Paula B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it worked for you, Paula. Thank you for letting me know.

      Delete