Thursday, January 8, 2015

Lucy Meets Marcus.....Love at First Sight

Hello Everyone,
 
You've seen this block before.....
 

 
 
....but you haven't seen these.
 


I'm putting this one together during the first American Idol show of the season.  I know, I know, I can hear you groaning now.....but I love to watch American Idol.  But I'm not idly watching TV, I'm making Patchwork of the Crosses blocks.  The blocks are English Paper Pieced.  This isn't anything that can be rushed.  I'm taking my time and enjoying the entire process.  By the end of the season, I should have a nice little accumulation of blocks.


Lucy Boston (1892-1990) made some pretty impressive quilts into her eighties.  The Patchwork of the Crosses appealed to me immediately when I saw it.  When I paired Lucy with Marcus fabrics, there was an instant connection.  Lucy and Marcus make beautiful music together and it was love at first sight!

I'm not the only one who thinks that Marcus fabrics make beautiful POTC blocks.  Look at Pati's post HERE on the Marcus Mentions Blog.  Insert warning......these blocks are very addictive.  I cut all of the pieces for only three blocks.  I wanted to keep going, but I have other projects of my own that I should be working on.

I had all of my Marcus fabrics out, when I was bitten or became smitten with POTC blocks on Pinterest.  I thought to myself, make just one block and see how it looks.  One turned into three and I was totally hooked.  The intricacy of the Marcus fabrics lends itself so beautifully to the design of the blocks.  The fact that the fabrics all coordinate together so perfectly is an added bonus.  Older fabrics combined with new fabrics, it all works.



Do I need to start another project???  Absolutely not, but I do need a portable project to take with me and have one handy to work on at night.  I find myself totally relaxed while stitching the blocks together.  This could take me years to make.....but it doesn't matter.  I'm enjoying the process.  If I don't start now, the years will go by and I'll say to myself, "Why didn't I start this two years ago?" 

Soon,
Lynn




13 comments:

  1. I LOVE the center design of the block you were piecing last night & the step out colors are wonderful! What are you using template and paper-wise?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I watched AI last night, too. Totally loved the girl from MS who felt bad for JLo sitting between two buffoons. I also have to have something to do while watching TV, especially reality shows that don't challenge my brain. Quilting is a great way to keep my brain occupied!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lynn ! What beautiful blocks !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is one EPP project I haven't attempted myself yet - I LOVE the effect of the fussy cutting you've done. And I'm a fan of American Idol too - fun to watch while I sew hexies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW That is going to be one impressive quilt--I want to come and play in your fabric stash--you have some beautiful fabrics

    ReplyDelete
  6. Squeals of delight here! I see why the Marcus fabrics make these blocks so addicting, Lynn! I just know you will turn them into something spectacular!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks more intricate than I could handle, but they look amazing!! I REALLY love the 3rd on: what you did with the fussy cutting of the center: fantastic!! Happy New Year to you Lynn!! Hugs, Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. These blocks are lovely. I hope you enjoy making each and every one of them. You will have a quilt to treasure when you are finished.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely start. These blicks are like eating popcorn! I am with you, though.....no hurry, enjoy the process.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love seeing these blocks - love the fabrics (I'm a Judie Rothermel fan!) and the gorgeous effect you get with fussy cutting. So fun! I watch American Idol too - usually while stitching on a wool applique project.

    ReplyDelete