Friday, January 30, 2015

Machine Quilting Grammy Squares

Hello Everyone,
 
I've been trying to put enough days and hours together to begin machine quilting Grammy Squares.  I finally realized it was never going to happen....so I loaded it on the long arm and I'll quilt a row here and there as I get the time.
 

It takes me forever to stitch in the ditch around each ring of every block.  There is going to be a ton of ruler work on this quilt.  One row down.......bunches to go!


This has been a tough week/month for a couple of my quilting friends with extended stays in the hospital to treat some serious conditions.  One of them is not out of the woods yet, the other is on the road to recovery.  Reach out to someone you know who may not ask for help.  I offer specifics such as bringing over a meal, running errands, or just sit and chat to fill in the long hours of being alone.  That's what quilters do.  We help each other mend, and keep each other in stitches!

Soon,
Lynn

9 comments:

  1. This quilt is beautiful and your quilting is just the thing for this top. So true about reaching out and helping and not waiting to be asked. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love this quilt - it is one to take time with - enjoy each stitch. Our guild has had/have a number of members in poor health, family situations, life dealings - most members have been terrific in up lifting them and their families thru these situations. Yes, we are stitched together in this little quilting community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to be reminded of ways we can support others. Hope your friends are on their way to recovery. Your quilt and the quilting is absolutely stunning. I will love seeing your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the quilting that you show us! Great ideas for helping out our friends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debriefing is important which I did to a Pastoral Careworker, total stranger to me, at the hospital on Wednesday while my husband was in theatre. Two weeks before Christmas we were told he had an aggressive skin cancer, Merkel Cell Cancer, on his back. During blood tests they discovered more. He is now under a Professor for Myelofibrosis, a rare form of Leukaemia. No cure, maybe 12 months to two years left if the Merkel cancer does not take him. He will be 62 in April, I will be 61 in May. Our dreams for our retirement are gone and now it is busy with constant appointments, blood tests, blood transfusions, and next week the start of daily radiation. On top of that his work days are nearly over which means no income and still too young for a pension. Our only consolation is God's will is perfect!

    Your quilt is beautiful but all that stitch in the ditch would be daunting. Is it easier on a longarm than a domestic which I use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of work, but it will be gorgeous when done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful quilt...and the quilting....I have never, ever met a cross hatch that I didn't love!
    You are right on helping out a friend in need. I think that many people will not tell you that they need something - you just need to stop asking and start doing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so right, we should offer our help rather than wait to be asked.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilting is gorgeous! And, I hope your friends are soon on the road to recovery!

    ReplyDelete