Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day Remembrance

Hello Everyone,

Are you old enough to remember when Memorial Day was called Decoration Day?  I remember my Grandparents calling it Decoration Day, but to me it was always Memorial Day.


I should call today Decoration Day, because I always put up a patriotic display in my bay window and I'll keep it there until the 4th of July.  This years display is my rendition of what it is to be as American as apple pie. I did not make the quilt, but I loved it as soon as I saw the plaids in red, white and blue.


We received the flag when my father-in-law, a veteran of WWII and the Korean War passed away.  My sister has the flag that was given to our family when our father passed away.  He served in WWII.  My uncle, and my second cousin also served in WWII. 

My dear husband enlisted in the Air Force just as the Vietnam War began.  He was a jet mechanic and volunteered to go to Vietnam, but at the time, helicopter mechanics were needed.  All of his buddies were being shipped to Vietnam while he remained stateside, many never returned.

Patriotism runs strong and deep in our family.  This is our day to say thank you to all of the men and women serving our country.  This is our day to say thank you to the families who have suffered the loss of a loved one while serving our country.  This is our day to remember our own family members who served our country.

As always,

Lynn




2 comments:

  1. Lovely post, Lynn! My dad and FIL both served in WWII and hubby in Korea during Vietnam. I lost many a friend to Vietnam. We area so proud of them all! Barbara Brackman has a great post on the history of Decoration Day here: http://civilwarquilts.blogspot.com/
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What very beautiful work you do! My goodness. I have to share this Web site with my friend, a quilter. You wrote a lovely post. I, too, have men in my family who served, and I honor them.

    This is my recent blog post/tribute:
    http://tinyurl.com/64au22b

    Take care of yourself, and good stitching!

    ReplyDelete