Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Scrappy Leaves Class is in Session

Hello Everyone,

Yesterday I taught the first installment of Scrappy Leaves, from the Maple Leaf Quilts book by Ilene Bartos.  I made this quilt a couple of years ago and it is my all time favorite quilt for Autumn.  Just imagine the sun streaming through a thick canopy of leaves in the forest....the premise behind this quilt.


It is a simple block that you have to make 68 times! 

The magic begins with the selection of the background fabric.  Then you add your leaf fabric on top.

The design walls in the classroom were decorated with fabulous batiks!  Look closely and you can see the gradual gradation of light to dark in the green backgrounds. 


It was a great deal of fun in the classroom at the shop.  There was beauty everywhere you looked.

We had ourselves an explosion of batiks!



The transition begins with green backgrounds and moves on to yellow/gold/red backgrounds.



Beautiful blocks!

Another row begins, yellow to reddish-brown.




Polka dot batiks!  Love it!



We meet again in a month.  The ladies have their homework assignment and they are going to transform their fabric selections into gorgeous, fabulous Autumn quilts that will decorate their homes and souls for many years to come.



Do something that you love today.  Be creative and enjoy every minute.

As always,

Lynn

3 comments:

  1. I have been quite interested in making a leaf quilt and I love the way you use the background colors in this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This quilt definitely speaks to my soul, Lynn! I have the pattern and have been collecting leaves and backgrounds for some time now - I think it's time I get started!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had such a wonderful time in your class. Thank you for being such a great teacher. I went home feeling really inspired to make this quilt. I'm having fun making these blocks.
    Looking forward to the next class.

    ReplyDelete