Saturday, November 21, 2015

Checkerberry

Hello Everyone,
 
Before the kiddos arrived, I finished getting the border sewn on this little guy, Checkerberry. This is my prototype for things to come.  He will most likely be turned into an 18" pillow for Christmas.  You may also see his brother in a new quilt design next year.....along with an entire family of Toasty Tummy's.
 

I looked all around the cabin for some black embroidery floss so I could give him a face, but not a strand was to be found.  He will have to wait until next week to see the world.

All of the fabrics, except for the snowman's body are fabrics from two of Kim Diehl's fabric lines.  I love the vivid colors and small patterns. 

I'm already thinking about the machine quilting for this little guy.  I know it is going to include crosshatching in the inner border between the flange and the checkerboard.   I'm seeing quilted snowflakes placed around the body.

My home is always decorated in traditional red and green for Christmas.  It all works together even though I have an eclectic mix of ornaments and decorations that I've collected my entire life.  Decades of ornaments!  Decades of decorations which are becoming a major storage problem.  I gravitate to the traditional.  I have several of my maternal grandmother's ornaments that she placed on her tiny tree. 

Here's to your traditions that make you, YOU.  Traditions passed down by those who came before you.  Carry them forward. Don't let them be lost in the pursuit of something newer, bigger and brighter.  Cherish your traditions.

Soon,
Lynn
 

9 comments:

  1. I love it. Checkerboards make everything pop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Checkerberry is quite the cutie! Can't wait to see his expression after hearing all the praise!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is a keeper for sure, Lynn. Thanks for sharing "Snowy with us...I am sure he would like you to find your black floss too! :)

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Checkerberry, and I can't wait to meet the rest of the family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Checkerberry, and I can't wait to meet the rest of the family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your snowman is adorable! What a great idea to fill his tummy with a beautiful block. Go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Checkerberry, Lynn! Can't wait to see the others! Good advice on the traditions!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect name and perfect timing!! I just saw a lime sherbet-colored tree when I was at Earlier Than the Bird. I think it will not make it home with me....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just look at that Adorable Snowman !!!!

    Looking forward to seeing the rest of the family ;-)

    ReplyDelete