Monday, July 17, 2023

Bridle Path Star Block Tutorial

 Hello Everyone,

I finished the first tutorial for Bridle Path and posted it in Google Docs so it will be easy for you to access and print.


Click HERE where you can download the tutorial.  I will also create a tab at the top of the blog at some point in time so you can always have it at your fingertips.


The tutorial includes step by step instructions to make the main star block.  If you've been on the fence about signing up for the quilt, take a look at the tutorial.  I break the block down to the smallest components and walk you through the process step by step.


This week, I'll work on the tutorials for the next set of blocks and the cabins.

It has been suffocatingly hot here in the mountains of Northern California.  I open up the cabin at 5am and turn on the ceiling fans to suck in cool air.  We've been closing it up around 10am to keep the heat out.  We don't have air conditioning, so it can get quite toasty hot inside.

I've been working outside on my computer in the early morning hours. I love listening to the melody of the mountain....the birds.  It's better than any music available.  I love watching their antics and family dynamics at the bird feeder.


There are days when I'm the first one in the pool at 7:45am to swim laps with my kick board then transition into water aerobics at 8:30am.  I'm feeling stronger and have more endurance each day.  The water aerobics also helps with balance.  This is the best exercise EVER and I miss is sooo much during the winter.  The water is going to feel so good this morning.


In the name of fire prevention, our utility company came through our neighborhood and cut down hundreds of trees that threatened the power lines if they came down in a storm.  We had a beautiful tree by our driveway which we loved, and we were sad to see it go.  We asked the workers if they could leave a 9' section of the tree so we could have a totem pole.  We hired a chainsaw artist to carve it for us and he finished last week.  


I've been re-reading the Clan of the Cave Bear Series as I enjoyed them so much when they first came out a couple of decades ago.  So now, this cabin has a strong cave bear totem.  I actually think the lower bear looks like Mazey which is perfectly fine with us.

Our chainsaw artist has a good story about how he turned his life around.  He was homeless and saved bottles and cans to purchase his first chainsaw.  He now has his own place and sells his chainsaw art around different mountain communities.  He calls his company Faith and a Chainsaw.  He's a wonderful and very personable young man.  

I hope you have an enjoyable day and week.  It's full steam ahead here at Wilder's Last Resort for retreat preparations, tutorials, and projects that need to be completed.

Soon,
Lynn











5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the new tutorial Lynn! Launch date is closer and closer!! Keep staying safe and cool!!
    I'm sorry about the loss of the tree but what a wonderful way to honor it. The young man who pulled himself out of and up from poverty and homelessness is quite an inspiration, not to mention a special & talented artist. Talk about spinning straw into gold!!!
    Paula B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The totem pole is going to keep watch over the cabin. I've been working on my tutorials this week.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for providing the tutorial! I’m excited and a bit nervous to make this beautiful quilt. I know your tutorials will provide needed confidence. Glad you are enjoying swimming. You inspired me to do more strengthening exercises. I love the totem pole. What a talented young man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be nervous, Madeleine. You can do this! I'll be happy to go over the pattern with you at the retreat. I feel so good and refreshed when I get out of the pool.

      Delete
  3. Lynn, what a beautiful bear pole. Please email me which retreat I signed up for. Sept or Nov. I didn't write it down.
    Marlene

    ReplyDelete