Friday, November 19, 2010

Butter Rolls

Good Morning Everyone,

Rerun time today. This is a post from last November that is worth re-posting for those of you new to my blog. I'm asked for this recipe everytime I make these butter rolls which have become a Wilder Family favorite!  Make up a batch this Thanksgiving....you too will be adding this to your favorites.  Enjoy! --Lynn

Today is another page from the Wilder Family Cookbook. This is probably the most requested recipe in the entire book. I have been known to "hide" a few just so we have one or two to savor the day after I've made them. Now you have to plan ahead with this recipe. Make the dough the night before the event and finish the process in the morning.

This dough is easy to work with and you will love the texture. Watch them carefully in the oven so they stay golden. Here I go with the butter again!







Here's the recipe:



  • Homemade Butter Rolls

    2 (1/4 ounce) envelopes active dry yeast
    1 cup sugar, divided
    2 cups warm water (100° to 110°)
    1 cup butter or margarine, melted
    6 large eggs, lightly beaten
    1 ½ teaspoons salt
    8 ½ to 9 ½ cups all-purpose flour

    - Stir together yeast, 2 tablespoons sugar, and 2 cups warm water in a 4-cup glass measuring cup; let mixture stand 5 minutes.
    - Stir together yeast mixture, remaining sugar, and butter in a large bowl. Stir in eggs and salt. Gradually stir in enough flour to make a soft dough. Cover and chill 8 hours.
    - Divide dough into 4 equal portions. Turn each portion out onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 12-inch circle.
    - Cut each circle into 12 wedges. Roll up each wedge, starting at wide end; place on greased baking sheets. (Rolls may be frozen at this point.)
    - Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
    - Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until golden. Yield 4 dozen.

Note: If unbaked rolls are frozen, place frozen rolls on ungreased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 2 hours or until doubled in bulk. Bake as directed.
(They aren't quite as good if you do this step.....we prefer them if they haven't been frozen first.)

Source: Southern Living 2001 Annual Recipes – page 21


I have made these without a mixer.....but it's so much easier if you have a mixer with a dough hook to work in the 9 cups of flour.



This is what the dough looks like before you tuck it in the fridge for the night.


This is what you will see in the morning. (I'm glad I don't double in size every night! )


Divide the dough into (4) equal sections. Pat the first section of dough into a small circle then roll into a 12" circle. I always do this on my Hoosier. The dough never sticks and I feel like a part of history when I'm using this old enamel work surface. (I'm not old enough to be considered an historic landmark just yet....but my sister is!)


Cut the circle into (12) wedges and start rolling at the widest part of the wedge.




Lightly grease a baking sheet and put the rolls in a warm spot to rise for about 2 hours.

Voila! Here are your rolls just ready to hop into the oven.


My grandson Austin, holds the record by eating SIX of the rolls at one meal. I now send him home with his own leftover bag.

Have a glorious day everyone.

As always,
Lynn

4 comments:

  1. OMG, Lynn! Looks a little naughty! Love it! Well def. make! I might even sneak a little feta in a few. Thanks for the great recipe and pics. I love step-by-step recipe pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's just NOT FAIR. How on earth am I meant to lose some weight when you put recipes like this on here?

    Would they work if I added things like olives or sun-dried tomatoes to the dough?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely be making these! I can just see the kids in the family scarfing them down. Me too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your rolls look wonderful! I just used a new recipe for dinner rolls so if these rolls don't work out, I will definitely try yours. My mother had a wonderful potato roll recipe but it disappeared when she passed away. The family still talks about those rolls!

    ReplyDelete