Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Return from the Lost Coast

Hello Everyone,
 
I'm trying to return to normal after our trip up the Northern California coast last week for a guild lecture and workshop with the Eel River Valley Quilt Guild in Fortuna, CA.  We came home on Saturday, then had a house full of little boys for our grandson's 8th birthday pool party.  Busy times!
 
 
Let me start by saying what a wonderful time we had with all of the quilters!  They were so welcoming to us, and darn good quilters too!  The Chamber of Commerce rolled out the best weather you could wish for too! 
 
Here are a few pictures from the Patchwork Math workshop.
 


Excellent use of Y-squares for a border or sashing.

 
 Quarter square triangles also make wonderful sashings and borders.
 











Here I am presenting the material to the class using my document camera which projects the material over my shoulder.  It's a great tool so everyone can see what I'm talking about.




My sister Gail and my cousin Melody were part of my "entourage".  I can't do a lecture by myself.  There is so much set up from the computer, and projector to the quilts on their stands.  Gail and Melody "womaned" the pattern sales table and they were also my "Vannas" while I spoke about my quilts.

 
Just a couple more pictures of the gorgeous area.  The morning of the lecture, Mr. Joe and I drove through The Avenue of the Giants.  It is 32 miles of cool, green, redwood forests. Breathtaking.
 


We went back to Ferndale for dinner Friday evening.  I'm in love with that little community. The Victorian homes are quite the eye candy.
 


 
 On the way home, we stopped at the historic Benbow Inn for brunch.



Here is a group photo of the entourage, minus Mr. Joe who's taking the picture.
 


We had a wonderful time in the northern part of the state.  So much to see, so much to do, and so many wonderful people.  I'm looking forward to a return trip!

Soon,
Lynn

7 comments:

  1. Those quilters really took your ideas and ran with them - so many new ideas. The area looks wonderful, specially Ferndale with its gorgeous buildings. Happy birthday to your 8-year-old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had a great trip. I am certain that the quilters came away with some great ideas!
    Have a great 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful trip with beautiful scenery, and the quilt borders and blocks are great too!
    Over the years I have kept thinking of a time in a restaurant when an older couple came up to us while we were eating with our children. They praised the kids on their good behavior. It was at the Benbow Inn and I could not think of where until this blog post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great trip, Lynn! It would have been hard to drag me away from all that Victorian architecture for sure! Melody looks like another relative i need to know! You sure had fun together! Now that the trip and birthday party are behind you, maybe you can relax a bit?
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finally a break for me to check in on your blog. My dog is terribly ill and his health is on the decline so I have been stuck in caregiver mode for a month. Its so good to take a break and see what you share with us. It is almost a mental vacation for me. I only can spare ten minutes at the sewing machine daily if that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. my hubby and I went up to that area for our anniversary trip this year. We went down part of the Avenue of the Giants too: it was so beautiful! Glad you got to go to that beautiful part of the country!! Hugs, H

    ReplyDelete