The New Year's company left us yesterday, so out came the sewing machine, quilting tools and Winterset......and I took the quilt all apart. Out went the old flange and flowers and replaced with a blue check flange and ribbons. My sister thought the blue check would make a perfect flange, and she was right!
I thought the flowers were just too 'heavy' and my eye was drawn right to the flowers. I want to cross-hatch the center section and needed to have a lot of open space to showcase the windmill. It now looks simple and sweet and is appliqued down so I won't be changing my mind again.
On New Year's day, my sister, (pattern test dummy) started cutting out her quilt using the block layout sheet that I was working on the pattern directions. It was very helpful for me to watch her use my cutting directions. I got some valuable insight on what needed to be changed and what I should add to the pattern layout sheet and cutting chart for clarification.
My friend Kathy, (Mrs. Mike) is an accomplished seamstress, not a quilter, and I received some very helpful comments while she watched the cutting process. I think when Kathy retires, you'll be seeing her in my classes along with my sister.
The pattern is nowhere near being completed.....that is the task at hand this week along with getting the whole quilt together. I will be making more pinwheel blocks today while writing directions.
Enjoy your day in the new year. It is always a good time for new beginnings along with working on 'finishes' left from the past year.