Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Changing Things Up

Hello Everyone,

The New Year's company left us yesterday, so out came the sewing machine, quilting tools and Winterset......and I took the quilt all apart.  Out went the old flange and flowers and replaced with a blue check flange and ribbons.  My sister thought the blue check would make a perfect flange, and she was right!



I thought the flowers were just too 'heavy' and my eye was drawn right to the flowers.  I want to cross-hatch the center section and needed to have a lot of open space to showcase the windmill.  It now looks simple and sweet and is appliqued down so I won't be changing my mind again.

On New Year's day, my sister, (pattern test dummy) started cutting out her quilt using the block layout sheet that I was working on the pattern directions. It was very helpful for me to watch her use my cutting directions.  I got some valuable insight on what needed to be changed and what I should add to the pattern layout sheet and cutting chart for clarification.

My friend Kathy, (Mrs. Mike) is an accomplished seamstress, not a quilter, and I received some very helpful comments while she watched the cutting process.  I think when Kathy retires, you'll be seeing her in my classes along with my sister.


The pattern is nowhere near being completed.....that is the task at hand this week along with getting the whole quilt together.  I will be making more pinwheel blocks today while writing directions.

 

Enjoy your day in the new year.  It is always a good time for new beginnings along with working on 'finishes' left from the past year.

As always,

Lynn

7 comments:

  1. I love the new flange! Your sister had a great idea.

    Watching your progress is fun. Anxiously waiting to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love the blue check & bow ! PERFECT! Looking forward to watching your progress !

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fabulous, Lynn! I just love the windmill background fabric - it just makes everything pop - and that flange is perfect! Have fun!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you "changed it up"! Looks fabulous! Can't wait to see it all finished and quilted! Happy New Year! Oh - and I love the recipe idea - I'll be adding to my cookbook (that you sent me) Love it! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What more can I add that hasn't already been stated, I can hardly wait to see the crosshatching! Sound beautiful...

    Great way to start off the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The changes make a great quilt into a wonderful quilt I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To all Lynn's quilting friends, this is a special day, Lynn turns 60 today. Happy birthday to my younger sister and welcome to my decade. You are the most creative person I know and you can get more accomplished than anyone I know. I am so fortunate to have you for my sister and my friend and now my teacher with Winterset! Have a wonderful day whatever you and Mr. Joe decide to do!
    Love, your older sister Gail

    ReplyDelete