Sunday, January 15, 2012

Almost Finished Quilting

Hello Everyone,

Just a couple more posts of Winterset, then it will be relegated to the sidebar with the rest of my patterns.  After I ripped out the elements I quilted in the corners surrounding the windmill, I replaced them with feathers.  I can never go wrong with feathers, and knew that ahead of time. 

I had lightly marked the quilted elements with a black Frixion pen. To remove the marks while the quilt was on the machine, I used my blowdryer.  The marks are supposed to come out when they get hot, and they did!  I just lightly waved my blowdryer across the marks....and they disappeared.  Since I'm using wool batting, I didn't want the batting to melt.  In the past, I've very lightly touched the marks with my iron, but I wasn't taking any chances with this puppy!


The quilt is quilted top to bottom.  Today I will trim off the extra backing, turn it, and quilt the side borders.  I'll save the binding for next week while I'm writing the pattern directions in peace and quiet at the cabin.  Snow is predicted to start on Wednesday or Thursday.  Hand stitching binding during a snowstorm sounds heavenly to me...especially while working on a quilt called Winterset.


Am I the only person that enjoys binding?  It gives me a great feeling of completion.  I can bind for hours, until my arm tells me to stop.  Come to think of it, there is absolutely NO aspect of quilting that I don't enjoy.  

I'm all caught up in the football playoffs this weekend.  Our very own San Francisco 49'ers won a very impressive nail-bitter yesterday while the lead changed four times in the last four minutes of the game.  Needless to say, I'm not getting much quilting done while the games are being televised.   I'll try to do better since I'm not emotionally invested in the teams playing today.  Having said that, Go Green Bay, I'm cheering for you!

I hope all of you enjoy your Sunday just as much as I plan on enjoying mine.

As always,

Lynn

5 comments:

  1. Your quilting is really beautiful, Lynn!!! You really can't go wrong with feathers. I always try other things, rip out and then go back to the feathers. I think, "I should've just gone with them to begin with!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the feathers, Lynn! The little loopies here and there are just perfect! I may have mentioned this before, but I LOVE the binding part! Taught a class yesterday where they all hated it and couldn't believe I was hearing that! Happy football watching! Hope you don't get too snowed in!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy seeing how you quilt your lovely quilts, this one is no exception. I agree the feathers are a better fit around the windmill. Can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really looking forward to seeing this quilted. It's going to be another stunner I reckon.

    As for binding, I love it. To me it's something I can do in the evening, in front of the TV and it can be done when I'm with other people, whereas the rest of my quilting tends to be done when I'm alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the quilting on your Winterset......be careful with the firixion pens they take the color out of fabric and the longer the ink is on the quilt the more the color comes out I found out the hard way.

    ReplyDelete