Friday, August 31, 2012

Food for the Soul

Hello Everyone,
 
I'm still making backings, bindings and I'm working on pattern directions.  I'm also retracing all of my applique drawings on different paper that will copy well.  To complete all this work, I have to eat well to keep me going.  Our friends and neighbors, Randy and Barbara, gave us a big bag of tomatoes and eggplant.  So I fixed a large Eggplant Parmigiana casserole for dinner last night.
 

Eggplant Parmigiana

1 pound ground round
1 pound mild Italian sausage                                  
1 (28 oz.) can Italian-style tomatoes, undrained
1 (28 oz.) can tomato puree
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
3 ½ cups water
¼ cup sugar
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 bay leaves
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
1 large eggplant
½ cup olive oil
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 ½ cups grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
1 (6 oz.) package mozzarella cheese slices, cut into thin strips

©      Cook ground round in a skillet until browned, stirring to crumble meat.  Drain, reserving 3 tablespoons drippings.  Set meat and drippings aside.

©      Cook sausage in skillet until browned, stirring to crumble meat.  Drain; set aside.

©      Combine ground round, reserved drippings, tomatoes, and next 9 ingredients in a Dutch oven.  Cook, uncovered over medium-low heat 2 hours.  Remove and discard bay leaves.

©      Cut eggplant into ¼-inch slices.  Saute eggplant in olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until almost tender; drain.
©      Spread 1 ½ cups tomato mixture in a 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking dish.  Layer half each of eggplant slices, shredded mozzarella cheese, grated Parmesan cheese, reserved sausage, and tomato mixture; repeat layers.  Top with mozzarella cheese strips.  Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until lightly browned and thoroughly heated.  Yield:  8 servings.

 
Source:  America’s Best Recipes 1991 – page 35
 
Just like my patterns, nothing I do is quick and easy.  This dish will take you awhile to prepare, but it is worth the extra effort.

 

Mr. Joe has been on a mission to find saddles so he can retrofit our current bar stools at the cabin with saddle stools.  We have two saddles, and we are looking for one more.  I can just see the little grand kids loving their new chairs.  They are going to be the most popular seat in the whole cabin!  I'm sure the big kids will be fighting over a chair so they can belly-up to the bar!  This fits right in with our eclectic accumulation of "stuff" at the cabin.  I always wanted a kitchen that smelled like saddle soap and leather!


Time for me to ride off into the sunset and finish my pattern directions.  Hi-ho Silver.....away!

Soon,

Lynn

3 comments:

  1. You're right about your food being like your patterns! Gorgeous!
    That is a great idea for the bar stools! And you're right about those too!
    Leather, tomatoes, saddle soap and cheese, all kitchens should smell so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your new saddle stools. Fabulous idea. I have a friend who has tractor seats on their stools. :-)

    Busy days in your world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I would have loved those saddle stools when I was little! Wonderful....

    ReplyDelete