Tuesday, May 31, 2022

A Different Twist on Christmas Ribbons

Hello Everyone,

One of the many perks of becoming a designer for Marcus Fabrics is the fabric they send to me. This beautiful selection of fabric arrived the other day along with so many other goodies.  The line is called Midnight Lace by Paula Barnes.


I have always wanted to see what my Christmas Ribbons pattern would look like made in a different colorway.  Here are all of the components placed on the block layout sheet which is included in the pattern.  The block really is quite easy to make.  It doesn't have a lot of pieces compared to some of my blocks.


Here's the original Christmas Ribbons in Christmas fabric.  I wanted the sashing to look like a ribbon with a little bow in the corner post.


Here is one block made with the new fabrics.  I really love the look!  I don't have enough fabric, or enough time to make a full-sized quilt, but I would like to make a 4-block table topper with it.


Life has been very busy for me here under the pines. There's my fabric line in the works, along with another block of the month, and several new designs utilizing my very own fabric line from Marcus Fabrics.  To add to my current state of mind and upheaval, after 35 years of having our home in the San Francisco Bay Area, we are cleaning it out so our eldest son and his family can have a larger house to live in.  Our youngest son has been living in the house for the past four years after he experienced a very nasty divorce.  After the divorce, he ended up with the children but little else.  He got the best end of a bad deal. We let them move to our house, and we moved to our cabin. Now, our youngest son is going to set up housekeeping with his love.

We have boxes in the house that we never unpacked when we moved there in 1987!  The cleaning out started in earnest yesterday.  Our daughter-in-law, son and grandson started helping us.  We had four piles, keepers, garbage, garage sale items, and give aways.  Our car is packed with boxes of "stuff" that I want to save and take to the cabin.  Over the last few weeks, I've been sorting through things at the cabin and have the same four piles going.

Our kids have an app on their phones where they can take a picture of something and find out how much it is worth on Etsy or Ebay sites.  They had so much fun checking on prices for some of our "stuff".  My daughter-in-law is very computer literate and is in charge of posting items for sale online.  Any proceeds will go to updating the house.

The average price of a home in our "city" area is $1.2 million.  How can young couples live here?  Our kids all have good jobs but buying a home in this area is completely out of the question.  So, in with the young, and out with the old.....Mr. Joe and me.  This was totally our decision as we LOVE living in the mountains.  When we make the 2-hour drive down to the flatlands, we can't wait to get back to the slower pace of mountain life.

The city house is large enough for us to still have a bedroom when we venture out of the mountains.  My DIL loves to entertain, so she will now be hosting all of the holiday festivities, and we will have a place to stay.  That was all part of the deal, and they agreed to it wholeheartedly. 

So, wish me luck over the next few weeks.  There will be a lot of driving back and forth with "stuff".  I still have to keep my business running and I need to get ready for the next three retreats.  It's going to be a very busy summer. It's a good thing I'm a Spring Chicken!

Soon,
Lynn

 

7 comments:

  1. Hello Lynn - Love Love the midnight lace fabric and it looks so completely different, but just as beautiful in the Christmas Ribbons pattern. Good luck and take care of yourself while going through your house and packing up. What a job......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Karen's post, Lynn! And what a perfect win-win turnover for you all. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a lovely new range......and your block looks great..........
    goodluck on the sorting out......huge job..........I question how people in our cities buy a new house now days also............

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynn, love the blues! if you need an extra pair of hands sorting, I'll be retired as of tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Linn, all that running around and organizing will surely keep you young! I think the arrangement between the "young folks" and your & Mr. Joe is absolutely perfect. I'm sure you would rather enjoy the slower pace and beauty of mountain living. I love your block in the blue fabrics as well as the original Christmas fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Ribbons quilt in the blue fabrics! It looks like a winter, snowy design. I feel sorry for you for having to go through everything your house. It is so hard to decide what to do with certain items and the longer you have lived in a certain place, the more stuff seems to have accumulated. I just had to sort through 20 years worth. At least you have some help. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the fabrics in your blocks, nice change. Best wishes as you finally make decisions on what to keep, sell, give, toss... We went through that 10 years ago, putting much, on shelving, into my cargo container, in 15 days of clean out. I have added to it in the intervening years. Now in a travel trailer I have no room to bring in boxes to sort what was already in boxes that I didn't really look at at the time. No time. So glad you can help the kids and still spend time in the "old house"on holidays, etc.

    ReplyDelete